Installing a gas combi boiler

No, don't believe those flyers posted on the lamp posts IMM. Only fools believe them, you can't earn 1000's of pounds a week from typing either...jeez, your type would believe anything - and I should let you near my gas supply?

Reply to
Kieran

In message , Kieran writes

No one here takes IMM seriously -I certainly wouldn't let him/her near anything:-)

Reply to
chris French

Firstly DON'T TOP POST. secondly, most programmers I know picked it up.

Reply to
IMM

Don't worry. I avoid Leeds like the plague.

Reply to
IMM

Prick!

Reply to
IMM

I had a gas engineer come to service my central heating combi boiler and whilst we were chatting, I mentioned that I could do with it moving to the other bedroom as the bedroom it was in was going to be converted to a bathroom. I asked if he could do it for me. He said he could but it would be cheaper if I did it my self and just call him in to do the gas feed. He knew I was competent at plumbing having seen work I had done previously. Some gas engineers though, say that you shouldn't even do any pipework whatsoever if it is connected to the boiler, including disconnecting radiators..... These I term as the robdog brigade..... morgan

Reply to
morgan

As an IT person I'd second that. I worked on a project at a well known bluechip where there were 20+ contract programers earning £2k+ per week each. Most of them were learning on the job, you should have seen the amount of paper they printed off each week. Naturally, the project got nowhere and was canned after spending >£40M

Reply to
BillR

I look down on cowboy manual tradespeople, unfortunately I rarely come across the other sort.

Reply to
BillR

"Kieran" wrote | That's an insane amount of money for such a small amount of work - | I'm a computer programmer

= code monkey if we're going to be insulting about occupations (and one who in your case should learn not to top post)

| I think I'll risk installing it myself - I have a feeling this | newsgroup is also known as the guild of plumbers.

There are people on this newsgroup who know considerably more than most members of any guild of plumbers, and who give their advice generously. Some of them probably know more about programming than you do too.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Computer programmers dont sound very exciting to me either.

Reply to
tarquinlinbin
14 years back my father and I installed our first complete central heating system. At the time we were concerned about running the gas supply piping because of all the safety issues always being directed at Joe Public, so we got British gas to do it. When the BG installers turned up they looked at all the other work we had done and asked why we hadn't just done the work ourselves! At the time BG were quite reasonable on price (I think). Not sure about the rest of the country but in London a corgi registered engineer will walk off with £80 for just opening a few screws on the boiler and banging a pipe with the handle of a screwdriver. Since I have always done the work myself. As long as you know you are competent in making sound pipe connections and do all the safety checks, go for it, you'll save a lot of money. Regards the boiler installation, getting the flue connected correctly is the most important part.

At the end of it you can always get a corgi registered installer to check it. Although there is no guarantee that even a corgi registered guy is going to do a proper job, IME.

Reply to
StealthUK

Thanks, it's a relief to hear from someone with experience.

Reply to
Kieran

Reply to
Kieran

So many years learning on the job then..

Think what you like, in this case its true. To be so certain you would have to know the company and the actual project I'm refferring to. So who was it? You don't know do you? so who's the tosser big mouth?

Reply to
BillR

And people gripe at the demise of the apprentice system too. I find in IT projects the qualified IT people are ignored over non-qualified con-artists. The results are there to see.

Reply to
IMM

Very true indeed. What are your quals? A degree in pickupedness.

Reply to
IMM

That are not. Ask him how many trains he spotted this week?

Reply to
IMM

In message , chris French writes

With the possible exception of an extremely angry Bengal tiger

Reply to
geoff

Maxie, ROFL.

Reply to