Induction hob tripping RCD

Yep, you've cleared up that possible misunderstanding.

I don't think anyone has asked what sort of meter you're using. At the risk of raising a cry of "grandmother, eggs, sucking," are you sure that the reading was really 2.9 A and not perhaps 2.9 mA? I'm thinking that some of the Fluke DMMs just display a number on current ranges, and whether it means amps, milliamps or microamps depends on which socket you've plugged the red test lead into.

Even 2.9 mA's a bit on the high side, but much more feasible than having nearly 3 A flowing in the earth wire.

What happens if you use a 12V 50W bulb in place of the meter? At 2.9 A it should light up nicely.

Perhaps it's too late and we'll never know...

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yes, in this case the appliance was correctly earthed. The problem for the repair man was that the bottom plate formed part of the earth circuit. A better design would have ensured that the internal compnents were earthed even with the bottom plate removed. (Atleast that is how it appears, I have not studied it in detail)

Reply to
Michael Chare

2.9mA is about right for a noise filter (usually 2-3.5mA)
Reply to
Peter Parry

For Class I IT appliances (ie. computer), max permitted is 0.75 mA. They are normally about half this though. I think this limit applies to most types of Class I appliances which plug in to a standard socket outlet, but they are all defined in different EN documents, so it would take some research (and considerable expense) to get a full list of figures. Wired-in appliances are probably allowed higher leakage.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel