Illegal house extension demolished

Page 3 of 5

IMM wrote:

But once there they don't want people building around them. I once used to live within 400 yard of the "open country" now I am more like a mile - without moving!

-- Mike Drew Yate/Sodbury and Dodington Liberal Democrats Lib Dem Councillor since 1983

ever
majority
onto
Get
is
up
right
does
would
in
centres
strong
have
and
be
from
live
And your point?
If we didn't have a Stalinist planning system then you could build out in the wilds yourself. In the good old days before 1947, people would buy a large piece of land, build on it and keep the space around themselves. You can't do that now, unless you are a large landowner building a mansion type of house. Gummer when in power added this amendment to planning laws. If you are rich then you can build, if poor forget it. How Tory.
Advanced British architecture, especially in the domestic sense, stopped in 1947. Go to other countries and see the advanced styled homes and then look around the UK. Abysmal isn't it? The planning people are also the style police, turning down applications on merely subjective views of their own. When people appeal it can cost them 10, 20, 30K in legal fees to get what they should have had in the first place. And if your appeal is successful you can't claim back any fee from the planners. Appalling situation. They want pastiche mock Georgian and other mock retro tripe littered around the country.

in
look
They
As scary as it seems, on this point I must agree with you - at least the part about the lack of advancement in British Architecture. I have no personal experience of the planning people so can't comment on them being the 'style police'. But I think some developments that are the standard, bland fare that is so popular now are more of an eyesore than something which is on the cutting edge. I think that very modern works better alongside the very old than mock-whatever.
I have a vehement loathing of all the little boxes that are being built now. Some of them are even completely impractical for most families.
I do like a lot of the 'loft living' developments which are recycling old buildings. Unfortunately, they come at a price.
What I'd really like to see is more modern 'social' housig aimed at those wth low incomes. Built to be cheap to run ie. energy efficient and practical for children, the elderly and the disabled. When I lived in a council house, it cost a fortune to heat. So many people on low incomes have to choose between food or heating because they live in poor quality housing.
More generally, I would like to live in an architecturally interesting house. But to do this I'd need a lot of money. A suitable plot would cost as much as my current house. I'd like to make use of emergent technologies, be as eco-friendly as possible and utimately have somthing that's fairly unique.
I think a large number of my generation (early 30's) feel the same but can't find what they want without self-building which is too risky and time-consuming for some. So we end up buying Victorian or older properties instead.
I will never understand people who will spend best part of half a million on an executive box that looks like all the others one the street when there are far nicer period properties around.
Lloer

style
own.
what
successful
the
You should be sacred knowing how it is. We have all be given a line over past 50 odd years.

now.
practical
house,
Fuel poverty which mainly affects the poor. If the land was opened up people would be able to build their own homes wit their own money. Because 60 million of us are all rammed into 7.,5% of the land mass an artificial shortage is created ramping up land and house prices. Then the government step in the fill the economic house gap. The tax payers money should be kept out of this as much as possible. The vast majority of housing needs can be met they the private sector. Currently the taxpayer subsidises housing to keep large landowners with their rolling acres. In short we, the taxpares, subsidise the stinking rich.

as
If the land and planning laws were relaxed land would be in your grasp.

The countries leading eco architects, The Vales, went to NZ because the planners would not allow them to practice advanced designs. They upped and pissed off.

can't
Look into why. Yes, why? why? why? It comes down to two points: land ownership and the planning system. The problem that cascade down from this are immense. Recently Vauxhall at Luton sated that the green belt was one of the reason why they moved car production out of the UK. They could not expand the pant, which had room for expansion, which has been there since before WW2. We are shooting ourselves in the foot.

on
The period properties are , as you identified, not designed for modern living. They cost far too much to heat. We need to build far more advanced modern eco homes and tear down al this awful Victorian crap.

this
Do you have the source for the Vauxhall quote?
Thanks

one
not
since
Not off hand, I'm sure a Google will come up with it. Their spokesman on TV was clear about the greenbelt being a major obstacle in plant expansion, hence 4,000 job went west. Or east. he said it is the same around most towns and cities and that 1/3 of Merseyside, where their other plant is, is greenbelt too.

land
from
was
could
Well their spokesman on TV mentioned the greenbelt as one of their main obstacles.

eSpammer.Org.Uk> writes

It isn't true, John's been told that before but the statement fits his argument so he continues to use it
--
David

one
not
since
Maxie, don't you ever watch the news on TV?

writes

Has dear John taken to calling everyone Maxie or has his self abuse reached the stage where he needs some new glasses?
Just wondering ...
--
geoff

land
from
was
could
Maxie, it was by a Vauxhall spokesman. You obviously don't live in Luton now, which is totally understandable.

When they announce no more car to be built at Luton.

Can you indicate a URL that confirms the reason for the plant closure?
The only ones that I can find (e.g. BBC news site) indicate that it was because of a fall in demand fo rthe Vectra....
If there were more to it than that , there would be a record somewhere. .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
writes

I think it's a bit of wishful thinking on your part John
--
David

Kevin
Luton
Maxie, I want cars to be made in Luton.

snipped-for-privacy@chapelhouse.demon.co.uk writes

What did you expect?
--
geoff

by
in
it
Maxie, did you expect 1000 violins as well?

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 10:15:02 +0100, IMM

Yeah, and I want a hundred quid in the post every day.
Doesn't mean it will happen though. You may find that both are unrealistic in the current economic sitaution.
--
Mike Pellatt
Just use R(eply) (from a standards-compliant newsreader)

Are you a gangster of some sort?

It depends on your heavies.

Heavies must be expensive.

Well you will have to take that is what was said. All that is said on TV is not on the Internet.