IE - RIP

Following a recent "discussion" in this NG ...

"

might be the world's most widely distributed e-mail client, but Microsoft has confirmed that it has no intention of further developing Outlook Express."

Reply to
geoff

What other decent newsgroup editor/browser is available that is free?

Reply to
IMM

Cheapskate :-). Why do you expect everything for free? Somebody put a lot of work into that software...... :-)

Forte Agent is pretty good. There is a free version and inexpensive paid version.

There's a lot more configurability than Outlook Exploder and does not take much acclimatisation.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"

>> 0.htm

main problem with Agent and infact a lot of other news readers is the lack of native SSL suport

Reply to
Frank

In message , IMM writes

Sorry, If I told you, I'd have to kill you

Well John, you could try Mozilla and Xnews for a start

Reply to
geoff
[...]

Dialog. See

Exiddor

So you mean OE - RIP, not IE ?!

Reply to
NC

a> What other decent newsgroup editor/browser is available that is free?

Given the group, shouldn't you be writing your own.

on the rare occasions I have needed to read news on windows I have used free Agent. Good enough that I actually bought the full version.

Reply to
Richard Caley

In article , NickW writes

^^^^^^^ IRTA "stuffing"...

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie

For newsgroups and mail I have used Virtual Access and its predecessors for ten years+

it falls into the category of programs that are a bit too clever: if you stick with it you'll probably love it, but new users might find it too much.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Are you sure this is IE you're talking about? Looks more like it was a nobody, and they didn't! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

I'd not be surprised if I got this wrong, but isn't that a Microsoft ploy to make the competition seem less attractive, and isn't security MS's major bug bear at present? According to the news of the last 36 hours, this "Blaster" thing seems to be making that point as I heard it. I realise it's only news at all because it's "the silly season", or we'd never have heard a word of it, but this is how it's being presented in the news just now.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

have done since version 4! - oops, may have just shot self in foot with that admission! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

looked quite promising at first, but the bugs got the better of my patience in the end, and that's how I came to stop using IE.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

I'll give them a look over, another is webattack.com - they have a freeware section which has served me very well a lot of the time, better than average to be honest.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

In article , IMM ventured...

I've been using MicroPlanet Gravity for some time. It supports filtering, kill files, etc. Unfortunately it's no longer officially supported, but I've just found these pages which offer some hope:

Mike Atkinson {reply address i

Well, I've been running Dialog under Windows ME without problems for more than 2 years.

Yep, my feelings exactly.

Reply to
Exiddor

Is it free and downloadable? And from where?

Reply to
IMM

This link was posted earlier in the thread. I'm just checking it out myself.

Ben Blaney

Reply to
geoff