IE - RIP

Page 1 of 5
Following a recent "discussion" in this NG ...
"http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness/story/0,2000048590,20277192,0 0.htm
It might be the world's most widely distributed e-mail client, but Microsoft has confirmed that it has no intention of further developing Outlook Express."
--
geoff

What other decent newsgroup editor/browser is available that is free?

Cheapskate :-). Why do you expect everything for free? Somebody put a lot of work into that software...... :-)
Forte Agent is pretty good. There is a free version and inexpensive paid version.
There's a lot more configurability than Outlook Exploder and does not take much acclimatisation.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

"http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness/story/0,2000048590,20277192,0
main problem with Agent and infact a lot of other news readers is the lack of native SSL suport
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:03:58 +0100, "Frank"

I'd not be surprised if I got this wrong, but isn't that a Microsoft ploy to make the competition seem less attractive, and isn't security MS's major bug bear at present? According to the news of the last 36 hours, this "Blaster" thing seems to be making that point as I heard it. I realise it's only news at all because it's "the silly season", or we'd never have heard a word of it, but this is how it's being presented in the news just now.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
On 15 Aug 2003 20:59:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Well packet sniffing of the groups you read can be quite revealing...
Jim.
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:40:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@jibbering.com (Jim Ley) wrote:

If you lift one ear-flap of your foil helmet a tad, you can probably just hear the stealthed rotor blades of the black helicopter hovering outside your window.
Usenet and SSL. That's a cracker ;-)
--
John

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:08:27 +0100, John Laird

I was more thinking the wife...
But hey I have no interest in SSL and usenet, just understanding that people should be allowed to enjoy their privacy should they wish.
You may not mind your boss/bloke you're nicking wireless off knowing you read alt.sds-drills.naked.pics.binary - but some people might.
Jim.
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:16:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@jibbering.com (Jim Ley) wrote:

You can use stunnel in client mode to SSL-wrap pretty much any TCP connection.
--
email: jim.hatfield.org (replace the "a" with "@")

Are you sure this is IE you're talking about? Looks more like it was a nobody, and they didn't! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
writes

Sorry, If I told you, I'd have to kill you
Well John, you could try Mozilla and Xnews for a start
--
geoff

^^^^^^^ IRTA "stuffing"...
--
< Paul >

On 13 Aug 2003 23:55:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bt.com (NickW) wrote:

I resemble that remark! ;O) I am not an uber geek, but I use it and have done since version 4! - oops, may have just shot self in foot with that admission! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:40:11 +0100, IMM wrote:
[...]

Dialog. See http://www.40tude.com/dialog /
--
Exiddor.

Tried that, and while interesting, it din't work for me, shame as it looked quite promising at first, but the bugs got the better of my patience in the end, and that's how I came to stop using IE.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:07:04 +0100, Troy wrote:

Well, I've been running Dialog under Windows ME without problems for more than 2 years.

Yep, my feelings exactly.
--
Exiddor.

Dialog
Is it free and downloadable? And from where?

IMM wrote:

This link was posted earlier in the thread. I'm just checking it out myself.
http://www.40tude.com/dialog /
--
Ben Blaney
GSF1200 VFR800 CBR600 CD200