Ideas for a lock?

The new garage has a single sliding wooden door, which I want to be able to lock from the outside. Hasps, staples, and padlocks seem crude and either vulnerable or very expensive: any other ideas, please?

The stile of the door (ex 6x2) overlaps an 8x2 timber upright by up to a couple of inches at the closing side, and it could have any form of stop on the upright.

Reply to
Autolycus

Traditionally large sliding doors like that might have a small hatch door in them, with the main door then unbolted from the inside.

But if what you have is like a "heavy duty patio door", the collapsable-gate locks here might be the biz:

ordered some euro-cylinders from them in the last 2 weeks, and found them helpful.

Reply to
dom

Worked fine on an exterior door.

Googled and found this similar but very pricy one

--

Reply to
TMC

Further Google gives

at the union one

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Many thanks to both respondents: you freed my mental block and I duly found a suitable (I hope) Union 2497 lock on eBay, for the princely sum of 1.04gbp.

Reply to
Autolycus

Hope the seller doesn't keep a key - as they'll know your address if you get it shipped to your house :)

Reply to
Richard Conway

tbh, I'm not that bothered if he does: it's for a garage / shed, and as long as I can honestly tell my insurers I'd got a half-decent lock fitted, he's welcome to come and nick everything in there. New-for-old policies have a lot to be said for them. I will make sure I only store an insured car in there, mind.

Reply to
Autolycus