How to tell between asbstos sheeting and cement sheeting?

Is there a fairly easy way to distinguish between asbestos corrugated roofing sheet and other types? I'm not aiming to do anything drastic with my garage roof but I'd quite like to know what it's made of. I guess it's quite a few years old so it *could* be asbestos.
I'm really mostly interested so that if/when we sell I'll know what it is and can make appropriate noises, it's in good condition so the risk (if it's asbestos) is very small.

On 17 Nov 2003 12:55:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

No.
It is probably asbestos cement which contains about 10% white asbestos and if left alone is perfectly harmless.

The main risk at that stage is ignorant solicitors.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Oh, pity.

Yes, that's what I was trying to imply by my posting, *I'm* not too worried about it.

Yes, which is why I wanted to try and find out what is was in the hope that it might be something totally innocuous.

Hi,
I've got a large barn with such a roof. It will need replacing soon. I enquired a couple of years ago with my local council about what the official procedure was. The environmental health department can come and take a sample and test it (or get it tested - I don't think they do it themselves). I can't remember if they charged for this but I don't think they did.
Let us all know how you get on.
Alan.