How to solve: door frame is 2'6'' + 5mm wide (sorry about mixed units)

While replacing the architrave around the frame of my kitchen-hall door I n= oticed that the depth of the frame on the striking of the lock edge was abo= ut half that of the non-striking side. Closer investigation reveales that= it has been packed out with a length of ply about 5mm thick. This brings = the doorway width to exactly 2'6''.

I intend to remove the packing piece. Shall I buy a 2'6'' wide door and at= tach a suitable thickness of timber to one edge to make it fit the oversize= doorway or shall I try to find an oversize door that can be planed to size= . The doors are plain - no fancy panels.

I don't want to start reducing the width of the doorway because the kitchen= floor is tiled around the existing architrave.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
RJS

The problem has already been solved. Why are you removing the packing and then trying to bodge over what remains?

Reply to
Phil L

Because on one side of the door frame I have a 10mm step behind the door shut whereas on the front side of the door shut I have a 5mm step.

What I didn't say is that I have to replace the door because the current one has been chopped about to accomodate rising butt hinges.

Reply to
RJS