How to repair depression in tarmac driveway

Our tarmac drive has two round depressions in it, about 18" across and a few inches deep. I guess it's due to oil from previous houseoner's car but no real ideawhy. It's not cracked or getting bigger and the rest is fine. House is 10 years old..

I've tried to repair by putting the sort of tarmac you can buy in bags from B+Q in , but I can't seal the edges, and because it slopes like a beach the tarmac won't stay on the shallow edges. So I get a ditch that collects mud.

Is there any way to do this properly? Ideally like when they repair roads..

thanks Keith

Reply to
keith

If you dig a hole you wont have shallow edges. Its what they do with roads, then they pour bitumen over the repaired edge. I've not done this myself, just seen the road crews do it.

I presume the ground gave way underneath, so digging a bigger hole and packing in stone should help prevent this.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 11:32:05 +0000 (UTC), "keith" scrawled:

Dig it out and repair a nice square sided section

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks, will a shovel cut tarmac?, if not I gues I can use my angle grinder.

But where do I get the bitumen sealant from - I've tried and never find it.

Reply to
keith

Prozac ?

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Use a bolster and lump hammer to cut a clean edge, a spade should do the rest.

Roofing suppliers?

Reply to
Rob Morley

"keith" wrote

It's called bitumen emulsion and will probably come in big drums. For the little bit you need, it's worth the price of a pint or two to try scrounging some from a local roadworks site.

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Damn, I was about to.....

Reply to