How to make car windscreens anti-reflective on the inside?

Is there any DIY coating for the inner surface of windscreens that will make them anti-reflective? ... or anything that will make the top of the dash matt black?

I'm being plagued by reflections when driving into the sun and wear specs so polaroids aren't an answer unless I go for clip-ons.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Specsavers give you the option of polaroid lenses for another £60 on top of the standard price. Might be worth considering next time you're up for replacement.

Reply to
OG

If it is a vinyl type dash and you can take it out - or mask off everything, then Vinylkote is a good answer

I think it's spray only which might be a problem...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks, I can't take it out but masking might be possible. I'll investigate further.

Reply to
NoSpam

It's not the windscreen. It could be hopeless design by the vehicle manufacturer with the angle of the windscreen or a shiny dash.

Clean the dash with a suitable solvent, isopropyl alcohol wiping on with one piece of kitchen roll and then wiping off with another one, do this repeatedly, maybe use a foaming cleaner, or dilute washing up liquid and a scrubbing brush.

Never ever use anything like armor-all, or 'dashboard cleaner' or anything sold for the purposes of refreshing the interior of your vehicle. They are universally crap :)

Something like this

this

allow it to accumulate dust and grime which is non reflective.

If it's ever been 'cleaned' with a silicone based product then use an angle grinder to remove all traces of silicone or sell the car so some mug on a dull day, or torch the car and use the insurance payout to buy a car that doesn't reflect the dash in the screen and hasn't ever been tarted up with silicone based products by an owner, valeter or a dealer.

HTH

Reply to
The Other Mike

> Then allow it to accumulate dust and grime which is non reflective. >

Yup, the problem was caused last year by a "valeter" who used something silicone-based - unfortunately by the time I realised what he'd done (several weeks later, driving into sun) it was too late to "discuss the matter" with him. It's a Saab 9-5 and taking-out the dash really isn't an option.

Reply to
NoSpam

Yup, when I got my last specs from specsavers I had the second 'free' pair made up as a polariod sunglasses. Has made driving in bright sun much nicer and less tiring.

Probably get them even cheaper from an online place. But these were my first pair of varifocals, and I was happier getting them from a bricks and mortar place. And actually it worked out pretty competitive given I got 2 pairs

Reply to
chris French

In message , NoSpam writes

Or get yourself a pair of prescription Polaroid's.

Reply to
hugh

In message , chris French writes

Polaroid's are also very good in heavy spray.

Reply to
hugh

In message , The Other Mike writes

In my Land Rover Defender at night when I look in the rear view mirror I see the rear lights of the car in front of me reflecting back off the rear door!! Was a bit confusing until I realised what was going on.

Reply to
hugh

Apply extra mud or dog-slobber to the window!

Reply to
Andy Burns

This might be the only answer. A while back there was a discussion about the various suppliers of on-line specs but I can't find it now. Any suggestions for suppliers?

Reply to
NoSpam

Find a supplier that knows about lens alignment. I got a pair in Birmingham and looking at puddles or car instrumentation was a trifle uncomfortable.

When I returned them it became apparent that the counter staff hadn't a clue on lens alignment and even when I demonstrated the problem by rotating the glasses in front of a computer monitor, I could tell I wasn't getting through!

I did get them replaced though and The sevice otherwise is excellent. Prices are good too and they even throw in a free eye test. If you want the details let me know.

Incidentally, from my experiences of this matter I would be very dubious about buying prescription polaroids by anything but a personal visit to the vendor.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

I find Ford Heated Windscreens very annoying as the elements give light sources a blur.

Reply to
DerbyBoy

Got plenty of both already.

Reply to