How to make a slow drip?

Background: I've got some seedlings almost ready to plant out, but it's going to be too dry. I have several empty 2l pepsi-max bottles, and I thought about filling them, with a pin-prick in the bottom, and allowing them to slowly drain. However, even with the thinnest pin and tiniest prick, the water drains out too fast - would like it to last a few days. Any ideas for using these bottles and getting a slower flow rate?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You might be better off with something flatter, like a large tray. I'd guess the height of the water in a bottle creates an slight extra pressure 'forcing' out the water through the hole .. a lower water height wouldn't produce as high a pressure.

Just a thought ..

Reply to
Paul - xxx

That could be achieved by laying the pin-pricked bottle on its side (would need to have the cap fitted and vacuum-releasing hole made in the 'upper' side of the recumbent bottle)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Cap on or cap off? Presumably cap off. Put the cap on and adjust so that air can only get in slowly, it might be a very fine adjustment...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

AKA a "chicken waterer", much better than holes and air control of some sort.

the seedlings tray inside another waterproof one on top of a mat of somesort (old towel?) dangle the end of the towel into a small container that is topped up from the inverted drinks bottle. Water is carried by capillary action to the seedling tray. Use a "sports cap" on the bottle and position it just at the desired water level in the small container. The caps of most water/softdrinks bottles are all interchangeable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

use a misting spray powered by a solenoid and activate every few hours

controlled by a Raspberry Pi if your seedlings can wait that long...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

on 3/25/2012, Andrew Gabriel supposed :

Your method isn't working because you have an air leak around the lid. Seal the lid and your method will be quite slow. Certainly more than a few days per gallon.

McGyver

Reply to
McGyver

Drill a hole in the cap and insert a thin wall soft brass tube down to the bottom and bend over in a U shape. Araldite or silicone to seal it.

3/4 fill the bottle with water, stand it upright and sleeve the lower part with white paper and add black PVC tape to the top air space until the right drips per day rate is obtained. Overnight when it cools the pipe sucks air back into the bottle and the process begins again.
Reply to
Martin Brown