How to fix it

Paraphrased from elsewhere.

There recently was an article in the daily rag The Business Section asked readers for ideas on: "How Would You Fix the Economy?" I think this bloke nailed it!

Dear Mr. Osbourne,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing Britain's economy. Instead of giving billions of pounds to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan. You can call it the "Patriotic Retirement Plan":

There are some 20 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them £1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Twenty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new British car (or as near as damn it). Twenty million cars ordered - car industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - housing crisis fixed.

It can't get any easier than that!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members of Parliament, bankers pay 'tax exiles' their taxes.

Reply to
Un-believer

In message , Un-believer writes

If I retired, it would throw 6 people on the dole

Just done that

Just done that

do I get £666,667 for getting 2/3rds right?

Reply to
geoff

Shouldn't that be a million *Dollars* apeice? :-)

John Stumbles

Define "retire". There is no way I am going to allow somebody to forcably stop me doing that work that *I* want to do. In fact, I want to retire so I can get on with my work.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Amusing maybe, but with 20 million thrown out of work the economy would fall apart. You might also find it hard getting political support for a proposal to pay them =A32000 billion. Indeed you might find it impossible to get that much money at any cost.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Being in employment is by far the best reason for refusing other work. Once 'retired' everybody thinks that you have nothing to do.

Reply to
PeterC

Ahem. £20,000 billion (the way we currently calculate billion). Either way, that's roughly 20 years' GDP, so yes it would be impossible to find the money.

Reply to
GB

For future reference, which cars are those?

Needed a new washing machine a few months back. Would happily have paid a little extra for a UK-manufactured one (providing it wasn't crap), to help our economy rather than our balance of trade deficit. But there are none. Last to leave UK seems to have been Hotpoint's factory (and with my previous Hotpoint lasting about 25 years, spares being very cheap and easy to obtain, I would have been happy with another).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But there are in fact under 9 million over-50s who are economically active according to the most recent Labour Force Survey. So I've just reduced the price by more than half. Doesn't that make it a sure-fire bargain in the eyes of the average British idiot who'll just assume they can put it on their credit cards?

Reply to
Robin

Where are Dysons made now, most stores seem to be giving discounts on them

25% off at curry when trading in etc..,

Maybe a VAT of 10% on goods made in the UK might be an idea.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Malaysia - rather a notorious move on their part.

Reply to
Clive George

Lotus?

Jaguar?

You wouldn't. a new hotpoint a few yers back lasted just three years..I have the 25 year old one still going.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Morgan.

TVR. (Russian owner, but last I heard the factory was till in Britain.)

Where are they making the AC Cobra nowadays?

Unless you mean *assembled* here, in which case Toyota, Honda and Nissan spring to mind.

Reply to
John Williamson

There is no TVR factory any more. They went out of business several years ago. There have been many rumours about it restarting, almost always overseas, but IMO they are gone forever.

Reply to
Huge

Shame, they were nice cars, if a tad exensive. There's a neat new logo up on the homepage, though.

John Williamson

For the amount of peformance, they were very inexpensive. That's likely one of the reasons why the factory went out of business.

I suppose I better own up. This is me;

Huge

Suits me. Can I get a tax break on those two makes already in my current fleet?

Reply to
The Other Mike

That's not fair! Discussing stuff on usenet with actual knowledge. ;-)

Assuming that *is* you inside the helmet.....

Reply to
John Williamson

Oh, it is.

Reply to
Huge

I seem to be so much busier this last year since I became unemployed than I ever was before...

JGH

Reply to
jgharston