How to dismantle a dyson?

After many lead changes we seem to have something more fundamentally broken on our dyson dc04.
For whatever reason the brush heads intermittently disengage - from a cursory poke about, it seems either the belt is slipping or the brush head switch is broken.
I'm having problems working out how to take the base apart to get access to the inards to find out more. Has anyone got instructions on how to do so - thus far I've found 8 torx screws (2 underneath & 6 topside) but removing these doesn't seem to help much?
Comments from anyone who's had similar problems are also welcome!
--
Dave Cunningham dave at upsilon org uk
PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC

Chuck it away and buy a decent vacuum cleaner.

Maybe from your point of view, but I'd rather spend 20 to repair what I have than 100+ to replace it.
There's a useful page here should anyone else have the same problem <http://www.moseng.fsnet.co.uk/personal/clutch/clutch.html .
--
Dave Cunningham dave at upsilon org uk
PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC

Not at all. I simply wouldn't have bought a Dyson to start with. But that option is not open to the OP.

writes:

Don't agree.
The Dyson we have (bought about 2 months ago) is easily the best vacume we've ever owned in terms of cleaning performance. Model DC08 I think.
Alan.

<snip lots - pls snip>

We thought that at first with our DC05 but now I'm just waiting for it to fall over so that we can buy a Panasonic or similar cyclone.
--
dave @ stejonda

Never seen the Panasonic - good egh?

dunno specifically - Matsushita are a good manufacturer IME
--
dave @ stejonda

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:16:02 +0000, "dave @ stejonda"

Huh. I thought that about Mitsubishi until I bought one of their vacuum cleaners. Worked great for two years then was irrepairable.
--

Dave

If/when I have to buy a new one its going to be one of those robot vacuum cleaners. You put it on the floor and it goes round cleaning the lot. Yes please!
Roombavac.com I think - no connection, but I want one :)
Regards, NT
On 27 Oct 2003 07:40:20 -0800, N. Thornton wrote:

Looks like fun. Not sure what the cats would make of one of those though. Has the dalek problem when it comes to the stairs too.
I had a problem with static with my dyson dco4 and emailed their customer support and they sent a part free by return post. So far I find their support ace.
Try it
Its a deluxe domestic appliance, let the experts deal with it. If you have a Ford you fix it, if you have a toyota they fix it, (properly with high quality parts an thorough labour).
Phil of Whittlesey Peterborough England