How many stairs in your house?

Those of you living on one level may take this opportunity to put the kettle on :-)

Do you know, without going to check, how many stairs there are between upstairs and downstairs? No, I don't want to know - I just want to know whether you know.

No real reason, really. It just came up in conversation. My wife does not know how many stairs in this house. She thinks knowing is seriously weird. My son doesn't know. My brother doesn't know how many stairs in his house. I know, of course. I have always known exactly how many stairs there are in every house in which I've lived, which, according to Wifey, makes me seriously weird.

Reply to
News

You mean there are people who don't?

But do you know the rising and going of each? :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

13 I think ....

Yes 13.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Exactly! How can anyone not know?

Ah. No :-)

Reply to
News

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 08:26:05 +0100, Nightjar > Do you know, without going to check, how many stairs there are between

I could take a rough guess, but - nope - no idea exactly how many.

Afraid I'm with Mrs OP. Wierd.

Reply to
Adrian

Victorian? My limited experience says some Victorian houses, particularly terrace/semi types have 13 steeper stairs, but the vast majority of houses have 14.

Reply to
News

No, mid-70's

Reply to
Andy Burns

The kettle's already on. :-)

Yes, I know without having to think about it. It's 2+12 going up from most places, but 1+2+12 from the sitting room.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

News presented the following explanation :

13, but I had to count them. How many will depend upon ground floor ceiling height surely?
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I thought 13 and was right, though I wouldn't have put money on it. I tend to go with your missus, that you haven't got enough to worry about ! ;-)

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

I know its 13, why, does this matter. One thing I will say though is that to my mind most house stars are too narrow and too steep, unless this is only noticeable with growing age of the user of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On 2014-09-17, Nightjar

Reply to
Huge

Yes, standard 8 foot ceiling house has 13 steps (including the top step which is part of the landing). Most stair suppliers make a "standard" 13 step staircase. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I've always known because, for some obscure reason, I count them regularly. Only on the way up though

Reply to
stuart noble

The Victorian house I lived in had 16 to the first floor, but the ceilings were about 9'6" high.

You also need to define whether you count the last step up as a stair or the landing edge.

Reply to
Nightjar

Along with the rising of each step. My ceilings are 8ft high, but I have

15 steps up, including two half landings where the stairs turn 180 degrees. When I was fairly newly in the house, forgetting that there was a step between the two half landings once deposited me in a heap at the foot of the stairs.
Reply to
Nightjar

Are you sure the number isn't different on the way down though? :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes - 14 at both my house and my parent's - how could you know know!?

Reply to
Toby

You probably have muscle memory especially if you run up and down the stairs assuming the next one's going to be where it was last week.

I used to know how many stairs there were in the local railway station from guiding blind people.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message , News writes

Nope I don't know.

But I know we have different numbers on each stair case (we have two)

Reply to
Chris French