how do I hang an internal door-using previous door as template?

Hi. I am going to hang another internal door. I am thinking of using the same hinge spaces on the frame. In this case will I get an accurate measurement of the door if I just take the old door off and use it as a template for the new one. It just seems easier that offering the new door up to the frame etc. Thanks lots

Reply to
dawndavidringland

If the old door was a good fit, then making the new door exactly the same will be satisfactory.

Clamp the doors together with clamps as this will make it easy to copy exactly.

Reply to
EricP

Not likely though, as doors warp and twist as well as having angles put on them at fitting and after some wear and tear.

It is not difficult to offer the door to the frame. Just check the frame is still fixed formly and it doesn't need adjusting itself. You need a tape measure and a spirit level for this.

Offer the door on a piece of cardbaord under which there is a boulster chisel and a long tapered wedge cut from a 2 x 2. Offset the wedge on the handle side and place the chisel in the middle.

Raise the new door to the top of the frame and wedge it in, then use the chisel to work it over to the hinge side.

If the top of the door touches the head of the frame all the way along, you can go ahead and drop the door a pennywidth (these days a two penny width) and mark the hinges. Remove door and take a "leading edge" off the top and sides.

If the head is not parallel, mark how much needs to come off and where then remove and adjust accordingly.

Carry the pencil marks for the hinge spacing round to the side of the door and cut them out. Fit the hinge and offer the door "side on" so that tipping the door slightly, allows you to start the first screw in the top hinge.

Lift the door using your foot on the boulster and a small bock under it and fit the top hing fully with the one screw. Fit the bottom hinge by wedging the door away from the frame as it hangs from the top hinge. The hinge should go home cleanly again, with one screw.

Then fit the middle hinge if there is one. Then try the door closed. If it seems OK, fit the rest of the screws. Remember that the gap will change slightly as the remaining screws clamp the side tighter to the frame.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Certainly is easier. I'd use the circular saw/batten routine. You can always finish off with a plane but the saw is faster and, in my case, more accurate

Reply to
Stuart Noble