House painting spec

You could make the slot narrower with a strip of some material. A sliver of

3mm ply or suchlike. I don't know how oversize your gap is.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That'll be where the sash cord has broken and they've had to smash the board out to fix it - I guess chippies don't like painting :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

The trouble is that the "wings" make the bead "fall over" if you press it into liquid filler, and the bead might not be centralised - getting the bead out again would be a PITA, too, hence the idea of trying to make the groove smaller before fitting the bead.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

They vary from house to house - some (few) are OK, some are about 12mm, probably 1/2". Any packing needs to be secure, and equal on each side.

Another issue is that they only supply it in 2400mm and

3000mm lengths.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

Why should they "smash the board out"?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Hm. How about using a strip of something the same thickness as the bead slot and setting that in body filler. If you smear it with vaseline, and it's wide enough to get hold of, it'll pull out easily enough once it's set. I've done similar things successfully

- getting the bead out again would be a PITA,

Reply to
Stuart Noble

If you explain your email address I'll send you a spec I did many years ago. Cheers Donwill

Reply to
Donwill

There seems to be a (painted) block of wood at the bottom, chamfered on its top face. Would that be a combination of weather sealing for the sash woodwork plus an emergency stop for the top window in case the cords break? Or just evidence of a repair job?

Reply to
Tim

Donwil wrote

Thanks Donwil. The tim stays the same and rockylogiccom becomes rockylogic with the usual dot com.

The noooospam.com at the end is junk, the extra ooo because nospam.com is a real address - bet they get lots of mail.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

It's a mystery. Can you upload a picture somewhere appropriate? That would be very interesting.

Normally what happens is that one sash cord breaks, and the window then jams.

Reply to
Chris Bacon