House insurance (OT)

Just a quick question really. Has house insurance ( buildings and contents) gone up a lot or is it just mine?

I cannot work out why its gone up over £100 this year to £328 for a 2 bed bungalow , rural location, for seemingly no reason. I haven't claimed for more years than I can recall. Further they took my accidental cover off me and gave me "sports insurance " - for bikes and equipment I don't possess! Its RBS. Is something going on here?

Haven't been able to get quotes off sites today as they either wouldn't recognize my occupation, thought I was foreign ( despite my putting in I was born here) and in one case suggested a premium of £1029 ( I kid not!)

Reply to
sweetheart

All insurance has gone up a lot this year. I got 10% off three different policies just by questioning the increases.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Have you tried insurance broker ??

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's because you haven't shopped around and they are playing you for a mug

tim

Reply to
tim....

Yes, I found out from my car insurance there is no reward for loyalty anymore - or even a fair price.

But the fact they have an open direct debit which will renew automatically it does seem a P*ss take to send a renewal like this. M&S ( which is AXA) will offer me the same cover for £228 which is less than AXA themselves will offer it for ( they want £270). Similarly I had two different quotes from RIAS - one two weeks ago, valid until October which was £238 and one now which was £290! Go figure.

As for using price comparison sites - confused.com is really confusing. Its sure got me confused anyway.

Reply to
sweetheart

Try Aviva. They're not on the comparison sites.

Reply to
Andy Cap

A bit like double glazing firms, not exactly thick on the ground here.

Reply to
sweetheart

Is that from experience or because you have seen it on TV?

Reply to
sweetheart

From experience. I think they'll still give you an initial discount, so like everyone else, the following year you have to check again, but this time I decided to stay with them.

As you point out, you have to keep a close watch on the small print as they change the terms in an effort to keep the headline premium down.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Alexander Graham Bell must be turning in his grave.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Have you not heard of the internet? No one uses a phone these days!

Reply to
sweetheart

Have to say I'm well impressed with them; at least for motor insurance... last year, with two teenage drivers on to my policy (aargh!) I did the old comparison site tango, and got about 300 quotes from several different sites. Aviva - not on the comparison sites - undercut them all dramatically so I went with them.

Just had my renewal notice from them - up by about 25-30% on last year despite no claims or changes in circs. "Aye, aye" I thought - they're taking the mick from a renewing customer. Went back on the comparison sites again, and could not find a single premium there below £2,600. My

*renewal* premium with Aviva, however, was only(!) £1,450.

David

Reply to
Lobster

They are located in your nearest sizeable town, and may be 'rung up' on the telephone.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I have just got a quote off them . £176 . I can have free contents insurance apparently. Its very tempting as the cover is virtually like for like with my existing policy ( I could even add protected no claims and probably come in cheaper than the other quotes I have)

Reply to
sweetheart

They are located in your nearest sizeable town, and may be 'rung up' on the telephone.

My nearest sizeable town is thirty miles away. I did say I was rural. I prefer the internet. Oddly I have lost the art of talking to people.

Reply to
sweetheart

I thought they all use Blackberry's messaging service, then smash stuff up?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

That, in itself, will increase your premiums. Thefts in rural areas are going up significantly.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You you would have neither without AGB.

Why do you need the insurance broker to live in your village? You can call or email one that lives miles away.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

snipped-for-privacy@b20g2000vbz.googlegroups.com...

Try the NFU - they like rural and you don't have to be a member.

Reply to
David P

In that case I would doubt that he is turning in his grave ( your implication was that my desire not to use a phone would be the cause?) . I suspect AGB would welcome the internet.

I don't but the last time I used a broker I left a message on an answer maching and I couldn't get them to call me! So I have given up on that method.

Reply to
sweetheart