Hotpoint 9526 - stopped working altogether - HELP!!

Help - I've got a hotpoint 9526 washing machine that suddenly stopped working after a 50 deg cycle finished today. I've done the usual - checked the fuse, checked the pecker assembly inside the machine, taken the brushes out (they seem OK - they've got about 2cms left on them). The machine will not do anything - will not fill, spin or make any rotating effort whatsover.

Could it be the timer mechanism? Any help would be really appreciated as our clothes are getting smelly.

Cheers

69morris
Reply to
69morris

Safety switch on the door? (not the Bowden cable to the pecker)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Safety switch mmmm....... haven't tried that - Is it a similar sort of thing to the pecker assembly, but on the door? Secondly is it reasonably OK to remove?

Thanks

Reply to
69morris

The door catch has an electrical switch, and also a Bowden cable connecting it with the pecker. Motor (well, belt) movement prevents the pecker seating and frustrates the door catch operation via the Bowden cable, thus the door can't be opened if the drum is in motion. The electrical switch is a further interlock. Fairly simple to get to if you take the front off. If you're asking 'is it OK to take it out and do away with it'....no!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks - I'll get one of those today and see if works!

Reply to
69morris

It might be too late by the time you read this, but a better (well, possibly cheaper approach) would be to test it, and or temporarily bypass it (just to check that a new switch is what's required)).

I'm sure the specifics of how to do this have been discussed here before (Google is your friend).

If not, if you are competetent at operating a multimeter, it shouldn't take too much working out.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

I've just bought one the interlocks, but I'll definately try your method out first, and possibly save myself 30 quid . - Cheers

Reply to
69morris

Well, yes...I didn't mean him to get a new one without testing the old one first!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks to both of you - after taking the top off the machine and delved around near the safety interlock, I found a broken cable that was supposed to go to one of the contacts on the safety interlock. The wire was corroded and quite brittle for around 2 inches. I cut the wire back to good cable, re made the joint with the spade connector and hey presto, the thing works fine !!

This is my first go at using these newsgroups, but after the advice I've received (and the money I've saved) it won't be the last!! 8-)

Reply to
69morris

Glad to hear it. My first post (a while ago) was about changing washing machine bearings...!

Reply to
Bob Eager