Hot water cylinder

Hi

We have a hot water tank in the airing cupboard and our central heating is controlled by a control in the kitchen which is supposed to heat the hot water as well as the radiators. However the control for 'hot water only' on the device doesnt work so last year in the summer i had to have the heating on with the radiators turned off just to heat the hot water.

I have now found a single switch in the kitchen that a little red light on the socket comes on when I switch it on that I believe turns on the immersion heater. I had it switched on for about 3 hours this evening, and the heating/hot water control switched off. This still has not heated the water. I have also found a little black on/off switch next to the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard with a little pipe/connection to the cylinder. Does this need to be switched to on in order for the switch in kitchen to work, and will this heat my hot water?

How long does it take to heat the water?

And one last question...this may seem a bit silly, but isnt an electric switch controlling a pipe to heat water and water together a bit dangerous??

Hope you can help...

Reply to
David

On 15 Apr 2007 15:22:57 -0700 someone who may be "David" wrote this:-

That is probably because a control valve is not working. They can be replaced, but get someone with experience to test it and replace if necessary.

That is often the case, provided that an immersion heater is fitted and it is working.

Hopefully there is a length of rubber covered cable from the switch to the immersion heater.

Assuming normal wiring then this should be left on all the time, it is only for use while working on the heater, and the heater controlled from the kitchen.

Provided the things I mentioned above are correct then it should do, assuming it is not on an off-peak circuit.

It depends on several factors. Allow an hour.

It is not particularly dangerous if the installation os designed/installed and maintained properly. 100% safety is impossible, but a bath and any stairs in the house undoubtedly pose more danger to the occupants. Lying in bed is also probably more dangerous.

Reply to
David Hansen

Regards David

Reply to
David

Sounds like you have a faulty valve somewhere. The controller actuates (usually) a three port valve that controls the flow of water from the boiler to either heat the rads or the cylinder. These can fail.

Sounds like your immersion has failed too - they can do so even if never used. They sort of rot through.

I dunno what this is by your description. You get thermostats like this but they don't have switches.

Is an electric kettle dangerous too?

You need a heating engineer to check out your system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good point about the kettle.! Thanks

Reply to