History of UK DIY?

For anyone interested in the origins of the internet as we know (and love) then I recommend a read of

book....and explains why I have to be at work early on tuesdays :)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

In message , Roger writes

So can anyone find my first post?

it would have been as snipped-for-privacy@cetltd.demon.co.uk and it was spam

Reply to
geoff

How about:

John Rumm

The message from geoff contains these words:

16/2/98

"We recondition PCBs fans, time clocks and actuators (and descale heat exchangers) for central heating boilers. Compare the prices with new items. We also give a 12 month guarantee. We have been trading for five years and have built up a good reputation and provide a professional service"

Apologies for reposting spam. :-)

Reply to
Roger

Did you get into trouble?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I really meant in uk.d-i-y

I know I spammed the group and got well flamed for it

Reply to
geoff

In message , Roger writes

Ah - that's the one

so that's my 10th anniversary in 10 days time then ...

scary !

Reply to
geoff

Closest I could see is:

is probably the most useful entry page:

John Rumm

I got flamed and threatened (by Matthew) IIRC

Reply to
geoff

Still Roger found the original post - 10 years, eh ?

Reply to
geoff

Newcomer!

'm sure someone else will have an even earlier one; I would if it had been kept)

Reply to
Bob Eager

cor (new word that). what an old fogey ...

Reply to
geoff

Reply to
John Rumm

Oops, found one for when you were at school!

Bob Eager

One could waste a lifetime talking to you lot!

(oldest post of mine I can find is Mar 95 which is probably close to when I first got a demon account)

Reply to
John Rumm

compiler many years ago (in basic on an Atari 800). It worked but was rather slow, so he then re-wrote it in BCPL and used it to compile itself etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

It predates the Internet, and had a much wider spread than the early Internet. We used to get some groups on a dialup uucp feed in the early 1980s, which was the main transport for Usenet at the time, but a good number of the Usenet links around the world then were were magtapes sent in the post.

Deja had been falling apart prior to Google taking over the archive and in the final month or so, it couldn't search back more than around a 6 months to a year. I started archiving uk.d-i-y at that time, thinking that it might otherwise all get lost. I stopped when Google got the archive back up working.

I sent them some archives which I had dating back to something like 1993, but they were sparse (it was a newspool which was being accidently archived occasionally). I think uk.telecom would have been the main uk group in my archive (and several non-uk groups).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

He started off as John Burns-Curtis.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I suppose with a moniker like that Adam sounds quite reasonable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

IME that's the "normal" way to write compilers.

M.

Reply to
Mark