Hedge Trimmers

Talking to my local (relatively, actually 50 miles away) farm shop today about hedge trimmers. They don't do Stihl or Viking, as recommended here previously - in fact he rather rubbished them, saying that since they'd done a 'cheap Chinese' deal, he felt the build quality hadn't been there.

He then took the cover off an Echo, and pointed to the thickness of steel in the blade components, saying that if that was well-made and robust, the gearbox and everthing else back up the drive chain would last well too. TBF, it did look well made.

In two-stroke models, he has Echo HC1500 444mm blade for £228 inc VAT. Echo HC155ES 621mm blade for £298 inc VAT.

In electric: Makita UH4861X with 20 ft cable £99 inc VAT

Battery: Oregon HT255 288 inc VAT

I suspect that the latter two models have not the robustness that he was claiming for the Echo, but I do quite like the idea of an electric.

Any opinions?

Reply to
Java Jive

Stihl seem to be very protective of their supply chain. It sounds like he's miffed he hasn't got the local franchise.

Suggest you find your nearest Stihl stockist and have a look at them. You may find they don't stock the electric hedge cutters (lower demand), but they can get them in a few days.

Mine says made in Austria.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Too protective as far as I am concerned, I've just checked ahead of my shopping trip tomorrow, and the nearest dealer is 75 miles away.

Thanks all the same.

I'll probably go for >

Reply to
Java Jive