Heating Problem Thats Dumbfounded Seven Plumbers

Hi, hope someone can help,my girls heating will work upstairs but not down.These guys have been and all have suggested the pump and some have replaced it.One has replaced the zone valve,all have suggested and then dismissed blockage as water does come out of the drain point.Its quite an old boiler which seems to fire up fine and rads do get hot.Im sure that when I used Fernox it did help and tried to balance the rads.Any guidance what I can check to do an in depth diagnosis and info on balancing properly.The boiler is a wall mounted type not combi.I can get more system info tomorrow .Thanks Jason

Reply to
jason hunter

Now, turn on one downstatirs. What happens?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Almost certainly an airlock.

Try over speed on the pump and shut off all radiators that are hot, and then bleed everything else. Repeat ad nauseam.

As rads get hot, shut em down tight. In the end hot water will get where it needs to go!

Then open them all up and balance them for even heat, assuming no TRV's.

balancing is an iterative process. Start all wide open then close down the hot ones till the cold ones get warm then close the hottest a little, and wait. Repeat till all are equally as hot as eh one with the wide open valve....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry, no idea, but I'm well impressed that you managed to get SEVEN plumbers out to look at it!! What's your secret?

David

Reply to
Lobster

"Lobster" wrote | "jason hunter" wrote | > Hi, hope someone can help,my girls heating will work upstairs | > but not down. | | Sorry, no idea, but I'm well impressed that you managed to get | SEVEN plumbers out to look at it!! What's your secret?

Perhaps you should ask Jason's girlfriend what /her/ secret is :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Balancing is still good practice even when TRVs are fitted. I'd also check that there isn't a blockage between the feed pipe and the circuit which might be the under lying cause for an airlock.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Try reversing the pump and run for 15 minutes. Then turn it back around.

Reply to
IMM

The boiler is a wall mounted

The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Thanks to all who replied will try your airlock tips tonight when I go over , Im inclined to agree as there was no heat at all at one point until I did some balancing maybe more is whats needed.will let you know.once again many thanks Jason PS Shes hot-the plumbers obviously arent

Reply to
jason hunter

Also your pump could be running slow.

Reply to
IMM

And fitted it the wrong way around?.

This does not mean the system is not blocked, Its quite an old boiler which seems to fire up fine and rads do

Reply to
bob