Heating pipes proximity to cables

I have had to run the heating pipes about 50mm from the cables which run throught the joists,.at 90 to each other so they dont run for any distance together, would it be an overkill to make a heatshield or are they OK, cables are above the pipes.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
Staffbull

Fit pipe insulation on the pipes at that point.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I would but the pipe is clipped to the joist flush, I suppose I could staple a 1/2 section,

Cheers

Reply to
Staffbull

A bit of foam tape (used for joining insulation) would do the trick if the pipe's clean - you're only trying to reduce the heating of the cable.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

not ideal: Your pipe would still be losing heat into the joist which is then heats up the air space around the cable.

Standard cable ratings allow for an ambient up to 30deg C, otherwise cable derating factors apply. Everything possible needs to be done to keep the ambient air temperature in this space down.

Can't you alter the pipe so that it sits on normal saddle clips? Then you should be able to fit pipe insulation (eg Climaflex), perhaps just shaving off a little so that it is snug to the joist.

The heating pipes require insulation throughout any void they share with cable.

Another option is to divide the void using plasterboard and completely fill the section carrying the pipes with mineral wool type insulation.

Reply to
jim

I reckon you'll be OK because the lectric will cool down once its pas the pipes

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Cheers, second option is a go'er I'll do it tomorrow :-)

Reply to
Staffbull