Boiler - proximity to kitchen sink?

Planning out the new kitchen, the ideal place for the boiler (gas condensing combi, model TBC) is in a corner, which puts it fairly close to the kitchen sink - close enough that were you so inclined you could wash up with one hand while fiddling with the boiler with the other.

Is this location permitted? I could site the feeding FCU below the worktop out of the way if need be, although would prefer it to be in an obvious visible position, above the worktop - would it make any difference if it was? (it would also then be reachable by the suicidal washer-upper?)

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Not a brilliant piccie but if you look here

you'll see that our boiler is very close to the sink - no more than 12 to 14 inches - and the work has now been completed, signed off by both the Part P police and CORGI, so the answer to your question is yes, that's OK. FYI, other 'lectrics in photo are a double socket and another FCU used as an isolator for the washing machine socket under the worktop.

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

No problem at all. Keep the boiler and FCU 30cm from the wet part of the sink itself. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but is usually considered acceptable for non IP rated electrical accessories to avoid direct splashing.

There is no requirement to keep electrical accessories out of reach of a sink. Those rules (bathroom zoning) apply only to showers and baths, not toilets, sinks and basins.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

You sure? All the diagrams I've seen show otherwise.

Guy King

The diagrams don't match the regulations. The last one uses the words:

"In addition, it is good practice to consider the area around a wash basin (within a 60cm radius of any tap) as Zone 2."

Which suggests that it is the opinion of the writer, rather than a regulatory requirement. In a bathroom I would tend to agree. In a kitchen, it would be too restrictive, IMO.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

60cm is only to the end of the draining board. Seems reasonable to me.
Reply to
Guy King

Because you have a big kitchen. I have used kitchens that are only 1.2m across, with the sink near the middle. A 60cm requirement would have effectively banned any electrical sockets within the room. Indeed, even 30cm strictly applied would have been problematic, so having this as a grey area is a good idea.

Also, you are looking for trouble where none exists. The dangers of mixing water and electricity are vastly overstated. The reason for additional protection in bathrooms is not the presence of water per se, it is the fact that you are more likely to be naked and wet yourself, so the consequences of you touching a live object are much greater. As, hopefully, you remain dressed and dry in a kitchen, the danger is much reduced. A bit of water on a socket will cause no harm.

Indeed, you are far more likely to be injured by boiling water from a kettle. Perhaps these injuries (much more serious and common) will be less likely if the kettle can be close to a tap.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

Ah, yes, I had one of them! So narrow that I had to cut 4" off the backs of the new kitchen units so the doors could open without hitting the other side.

Reply to
Guy King