Heating but no hot water

Hi,

I've been looking everywhere for an answer to a problem which has recently befallen me. I suddenly can't get any hot water in my taps unless the heating has been on. Is it connected to the fact that I had a very noisy actuator motor for a couple of months and now I don't hear it at all?

If any one can offer an explanation and, even better, a solution I would be very grateful.

Sandra

Reply to
sandra.finch

that does heating or (heating+water)? The symptom would be consistent with this.

It could be either the actuator that has gone (often a problem when the winding is constantly energised, it eventually burns out). On the other hand the valve might have furred up and the actuator has finally given up trying to shift it.

Sounds like the problem I just had (see posting elsewhere). A new actuator has solved it for me.

If you cannot remove the actuator to see what the valve is doing then I'm not sure what to suggest other than draining the system and taking it apart.

Or get someone in if this isnt your strong skill!

Nigel

sandra.f> Hi,

Reply to
piloti

If it's the motor part of the valve, this can usually be replaced without plumbingy work.

If it's the valve part, it's a drain-down job.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Owain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@iris.uk.clara.net:

And if the actuator does not remove with a couple of screws (like my old one) the valve is long overdue for replacement, which is just as well considering you've got to.

Still not a very difficult job as jobs go!

mioke

Reply to
mike ring

Which zone valve do you have with the actuator on it? Makers name etc. Do you have two zone valves with actuators on them? Or, is it just one zone valve that had three pipes coming from it?

A two zone system will have two separate zone valves fitted to the boiler flow (outlet) pipework. Both operate independently to control circulation through the two parts of the system.

A dual flow system will have one motorised valve, commonly called a mid-position valve, which allows flow through an either / or situation to the two separate parts of the heating system.

Reply to
BigWallop

Make and model and brief description of the system. Use the Main FAQ to identify what you have.

The first question is: Combi boiler or HW cylinder.

Reply to
Ed Sirett