Heater INSIDE thermostat?

you heat the element, it will open earlier because it's hotter, but how does that help you get a more accurate measurement of the air temperature?

The aim of the design isn't to get an accurate measurement of the air temperature *at the time of the measurement*, but to anticipate what the air temperature will reach *after the heating is turned off*. As the radiators and the water they contain as used in most domestic heating systems hold a fair amount of heat which will be released after the boiler is turned off, the heat source (boiler) needs to be turned off

*before* the desired air temperature is reached, otherwise the set temperature will be exceeded. This is why the thermostat has either software anticipation or a hardware heater built in. In an ideal world, the preheat on the thermostat will be calibrated for each installation, but most of the time, the normal value as installed is "close enough".

Blown air heating systems need a different control regime, preferably a proportional control system, which takes account of the heat lost by the building, so that the heating runs at a reduced power level at all times, in a steady state.

Reply to
John Williamson

is the temperature control sensor and it's sole purpose is the measurement = of the air temperature.

I give up; you're just not getting it.

All the best,

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

On the contrary, you don't get it.

It is the temperature control sensor and it is all about measuring air temperature. I've been involved with room temperature controls for nearly 30 years, and I think I got this one long ago.

Reply to
Onetap