Heat bank - one or two plates and other detailed decisions

I had originally posted this to an existing thread I started, but as it apperas to be 'just off the end' of the standard 25 message display .. perhaps people missed it.

Anyway - I'm reporting in the hope people can help me.

Situation in summary is that I have a 45kW boiler currently connected to an aging unvented copper cylinder. I'm looking to install a new heat bank which when directly connected to the boiler should provide (as somebody put it) "blindingly fast" recovery. I am looking to add rads to the attic at the same time.

The question is where to run the rads from and how large the store should be:

  1. With blindingly fast recovery .. how do I figure out how small the heat bank can be? I mean normally, you'd use the heatweb calculator for #baths, #sinks, showers etc. But with my arrangement what I've got is more like a very large water content combi! I'd want to run a bath and shower and a tap at the same time, and would want to run 2 baths and two showers within an hour.

  1. I already have, existing, 4 pipe runs to the attic. These will become available for use with the mains pressure DHW provided by the heat store. It is difficult - though not impossible to add more.

If I go for a fully direct system (Rads off heat store as well), then I need a header and expanstion tank in attic. So that means I need pipes: Flow, returm, Cold feed, Vent, Mains Cold. Thats five! So - my quesiton is .... what are the dos and donts about the header tank feeding into the return line? [ If I did this, I get back to 4 pipes again ] I know normally you do it just after an air seperator and just before the pump - but I dont understand why.

  1. Alternative to the idea in (2) is to run the rads off a seperate heat exchanger off the heatbank and pressurise just the rads. Anybody got any thoughts about the pros and cons. Ones I can think of are: Yet another pump (would now be up to 4) Not quite as fast heatup separate boiler/heatstore water from rad water (a good thing i think)

Again - very grateful for all the ideas and discussion.

Peter

PS Amazing how ones thoughts change - I realsie that none of the above options leaves me with my rads running off the clever modulating controller - something which earlier on in the disucssion I said was a must-have. Now it just doesn't seem so important.

Reply to
Peter

Google groups isn't the usual way of looking at Usenet lists, so no, very few of us missed it for that reason!

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

If it weren't for the stratification factor it should be fairly straightforward O-level physics (though it's so long since I did mine it's now rocket science to me :-)). In practical and economic terms it probably comes down to a standard cylinder from Screwfix etc being the best bangs per buck.

Is that a problem? They're not expensive. The PHE would cost more (but needn't be as big or as expensive as a DHW one).

Reply to
John Stumbles