Hanging a picture

I have a couple of large pictures and want the frames to be flush with the wall. The frames come with a string from side to side at the back. When the hook is screwed to the wall and the frame hung, it leans forwards at the top.

Does anyone know of any clips, and where to get them, or a trick to make the picture frame flush with the wall?

thanks

Reply to
timegoesby

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:08:56 GMT, timegoesby wrote

You can purchase hooks (D rings?) which tack to the top of the frame, but these are usually meant to be used singly, in the centre of the frame. (It depends how large your "large pictures" are -- I wouldn't trust a single hook for a large picture; using two of them would work, but getting the picture level would be a bastard.....)

You could also try raising the string so that it's higher up on the frame, and eliminating as much slack as you can -- it'll still lean forward, but less than if the string's lower down.

To make it *really* flush, you can use mirror plates -- these things:

You see these used in a lot of commercial settings where they don't want people to steal the pictures off the walls, but you see the screws.

FWIW, I'd try the "raise the string higher" trick first.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Yes, and it also happens if you use the hanging string, unless you're using a nail-in picture hook, which would be even less secure than a properly installed screw......

Reply to
Wanderer

Anyway the majority force vector is perpendicular to the long axis of the screw, so it has to break to fail. There is little chance of it being pulled out of the wall.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Try using two hanging points as this keeps the wire/string more taught,and pulls the the frame closer to the wall works for 4 x 2 foot mirror

Reply to
Alex