Hang Joists from Steel Beam - Lintel Design

Sorry this is a bit long!

I am looking to take an internal wall out of the kitchen. The wall is about 3/4 of the way down the length of the kitchen and provides support for a joint in the ceiling joists. This is a single storey extension, so the joists form part of the roof timber construction. The roof is purpose built and not pre-fab'd A frame, so it has 2 angled beams across the width of the roof space providing intermediate support for rafters. Also it has 2 longitudinal tie beams going the length of the roof space. I have seen this style of roof before and believe it was common before the introduction of the pre-made A frames.

I have had some plan designers in to draw up the general alterations, but the details for the support of the joists was a bit sketchy. They mentioned joist hangers to suspend the timber joist joint from a steel beam installed in the roof space above the existing wall location.

The questions:

Does anyone have a link to pictures/suppliers of these hangers? I have searched and searched without success! Will this beam be carrying anything other than the weight of the ceiling and ceiling timbers?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

============= Look here for some good detail:

Cicero

Cic

Thanks for link, but this doesn't show the case proposed by plan designers. They are suggesting a steel I-beam above, with the supported timber joists at 90 degrees to this. Therefore hangers need to go over steel then hang down to pick up overlapping joint in joists

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The usual arrangement IME is to bolt timber fillers either side of the beam web (size will depend on the steel) and nail long tail joist hangers to them, tails taken over the top and ends nailed to the other side. Hnager such as

Tony Bryer

=========== I can't really picture what you're looking for but I thought the 'Long leg speedy' would meet your requirements. However, joist hangers are very much a standard item so it might be worth doing a simple 'mock-up' and taking it to a local builders' merchants to see what they advise.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Thanks Tony

Yes that looks like it would work, just 2 issues:

1) I would have thought it would have been better practice to support the joists at the break point (ie where they overlap above existing support wall). This would mean the hanger supporting two joist thicknesses.

2) How are these fitted under in-place joists?

Thanks again

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I missed the original post so may have answered a question you weren't answering. If you're needing to pick up existing joists there are nailing plates available from good builders merchants or timber yards that will do this, but you should use the appropriate (twisted or ring shank) nails with them.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I've seen this done using an I-section RSJ, where the ends of the joists just fit tightly between the top and bottom flanges of the "I", with a notch cut out on the bottom face to accomodate the bottom flange, so that plasterboard could be attached flush beneath. This was in a fairly old property, seemed perfectly firm and rigid but don't know if it would be compliant with current regs.

David

Reply to
Lobster