Handy electrical installation techniques

It's very common practice these days to instal u/g service cables in a plastic pipe installed by the builder/developer.

When the system was first trialled about 30/40 years ago, a fair bit of Swarfega was used to lubricate the cable as it went into the duct, particularly if the duct was laid with some tightish bends.

Reply to
The Wanderer

You are stupid. There have been no deflections just your inability to understand the difference between an ocean and a tank of water. So you being simple post the formulae for CO2 into carbolic acid and then refuse to believe there are other process at work in CO2 absorption in oceans. The reality is that you are just an insane stalker that thinks its big to try and prove someone else is wrong even though all it shows is how stupid you are being. Now grow up before I have to use my kill file.

Reply to
dennis

PS that's the spell chucker at work before you decide to try and score points.

Actually its probably a good substitution to make as it will give you more chances to show how stupid you are.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

middle management if I ever saw it

Reply to
geoff

In message , "dennis@home" writes

didn't even read it den

Reply to
geoff

If you're on a budget look out for the Lidl cutters, pliers and wire stripper set at around this price. Perfectly adequate for domestic wiring. You should really keep these tools for wiring use only as abusing things like cutters isn't a good idea if you want them to remain sharp.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got a fair selection of multimeters but if I wanted one for purely DIY mains stuff I'd get this one :-

similar.

You can get a vast selection of cheap DVMs for other uses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

Or this

can be had for a tenner, eg:

it's unclear if it can safely do continuity checks on potentially live AC circuits. As a voltage tester though, it's probaby reasonable.

I think the conclusion is that for basic wiring, I personally would have little hesitation in recommending that one should have under 25 pounds worth of tools in order to vastly reduce risk to life and limb.

Hopefully at the weekend I will get round to supplying very generic looking photos of some of the tools I've got so that the Wiki doesn't needlessly portray the image that one must buy the "best" tools before even starting but rather that one needs *adequate* tools.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Swarfega - now there's a thought. Was that approved by the cable manufacturers, and did it ensure that the consumer got a clean feed?

See RS stock no. 196-3390 for 'Yellow 77' which is a lubricant for wire pulling in conduits, etc. It's not expensive.

Reply to
Andy Wade

And why have some people reported cables turning to green goo?

Reply to
Rod

Did your newsreader tool not scream at you about excessive quoting? If not it's not doing its job. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dunno - but it strikes me as a very expensive lubricant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'S all relative really though, ain't it?

Having a couple of guys buggering around for an hour trying to get cable through a tightly bent duct is a lot more expensive than slapping a couple of handfuls of Swarfega onto the cable as it was pushed into the duct.

Reply to
The Wanderer

no, sorry bout that :(

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Right, loads of good stuff included now, and a bunch of photos as well:

more input for some of the sections on cable support, running wires under floor voids (and in particular issues like supporting cables, or letting them sit on the sub floor etc) etc

Handy making good tricks and tips...

Any sections you think are missing?

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi John,

I did promise, so here goes... Sorry, I don't have enough bits lying around to do photos. If you think some would be helpful, I could put it on the list of things to do?

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

By section/

================================================= Grommits - you beat me to it ;->

================================================= Minimum bend radii: [Can I suggest some extra info that I've looked up, edit as much or as little to blend in as you wish]

  • Care must be taken not to bend a cable too tightly. Over bending a cable can crack the insulation or strain the conductors, causing the conductor to cut through the insulation.

OK, so how much an we bend a cable? The maximum bend that can be put in a cable is described as the "minimum bend radius" at the inside edge of the cable. A simple way to imaging this is:

  • If a cable may have a minimum bend radius of 30mm: then take a cylinder of radius 30mm and bend the cable neatly around the outside of the cylinder. The cable is now bent as tightly as permitted. The overall angle of the bend, whether it be 90 degrees, 45 degrees or anything else is not relevant here.

So what does this mean in real life? The most common cable for house wiring is BS6242Y, or "Twin and Earth" (it might also be BS6243Y "Triple and Earth in some parts of the lighting or heating systems).

Table 4E of the IEE Onsite Guide (17th Edition) states that for thermoplastic PVC cable with circular or circular stranded copper conductors, we may use the following calculation to determin the minimum bend radius:

a) If the overall diameter of cable (D)

Did it on Tuesday, got a rebate (not actually expected, PAYE wobbulation I guess, so double BONUS!!!) BACS'd to the bank on Friday. Wow... I'll have to have a lie down now.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Splendid work Tim, saved some typing ;-)

IIRC, there is also a figure somewhere for the max unsupported drop that is allowed...

Yup, apparently if you c*ck up your records such that you tell them what you got paid one year, but what you paid in tax the previous year, and it coincides with a year where you paid yourself less the second year than the first, they send you loads of money. Shame is they want it back when you highlight the error, but still its an unorthodox way of getting a loan out of hector! DAMHIKIJD

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

I hope not ;->

I think, due to switching jobs mid year, (both PAYE) I overpaid somewhere along the line. Possibly a coding error on the second job. Just goes to show it's worth checking yer tax. Maybe I should check the last 4 years too, if I can find all the P60s :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

OK Tim, your comments are now included (edited a little for simplicity in places). I have also included some comments from Adam.

John Rumm

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Good job John - you have the editor's talent :)

I noticed a couple of typos in my original text that got in. Shall I just correct them directly in the Wiki (I have an account)?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S