Halogen lighting again

Looking in B&Q I notice that the mains halogen lights say "dimmable" on the box, whereas the ones using a transformer don't. Can I assume that dimming is not possible with the lights that use a transformer.
Sorry if it's a daft question.
TIA.
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.

try www.tlc-direct.co.uk
Troy wrote:

No, you can dim low-voltage halogens, but you need either an `electronic' transformer, or a great big beefy dimmer.
I have the cheaper B&Q dimmers (which are marked specifically *not* for low voltage lighting) working just fine with Ring and Skot electronic transformers.
Ben.

You can dim lights fed from a transformer, but you need a suitable dimmer. They're usually marked 'Low Voltage' or similar, and cost more than normal dimmers. So nothing new there then.
--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman wrote:

No, this is just an out-and-out con trick: provided you've got an electronic (not a toroidal) transformer, ordinary dimmers work fine. Or at least, mine do!
Ben.

I'm pretty sure not all electronic types can be dimmed, so best to check first.
--
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist

Troy wrote:

No.
Its a weird question.
Ther are LV systems that are 'dimmable' and there are dimmers that are made for LV systems...and I have never had a clear snwer as to what works with what.
I went the 'buy transformers that say dimmable' on them and use standard dimmers. Works OK so far. So I had electronic transformers...
..whereas I believe uou can get dimmers to drive toroids as well, but they are tweaked to handle the odd load.
SOME electronic transformers do NOT behave well under dimming. Usually the cheapest nastiest that money can be wasted on. In fact, exactly what you would expect B & Q to stock...
Go to a decent electrical supplier.

Its a bloody DIFFICULT question to which no one has the complete answer.
I found ONE answer that worked for me. Newey and Eyre 'dimmable' electronic transformer in one case, and a 'dimmable' electronic transformer track system wired in parallel with it.

Thanks to all for your help.
And I thought it was a simple question :-)
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.