halogen lighting

hello all I planto fit halogen lights in my living room - I'd like to avoid replacing the ceiling - does anyone know if that is possible? I live in a flat theefore I cannot access my neighbours floorboards.

Thank you :)

Reply to
dawnetherson

It is unlikely that you could meet the fire separation requirements if this is a standard floorboard/gap/plaster type floor arrangement. You may be able to meet the requirement with various seals and fire pots. However, this would almost certainly require access from above and would lead to significantly reduced operating life for the bulbs.

Also, halogen lighting is extraordinarily inefficient in running cost and is environmentally profligate. It would be better to design a lighting system that uses CFL bulbs, which give much more usable light per watt (and hence per kg of CO2 released).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you have a very high ceiling I suppose one option would be to fit a secondary, false ceiling but it seems like an lot of effort to fit these things - which surely to God must now be fast approaching their fashion "sell-by" date, at which point everyone will be ripping them out as fast as you can say "avocado bathroom suite"?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, I'm on a mission to make these things as unacceptable as a Porsche Cayenne or Range Rover Sport!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Especially in a flat where fire separation is an issue I would suggest not cutting the ceiling at all and using those sets with a wall or ceiling mounted transformer and the lights clipped on l.v. wires across the room.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On 18 Jul 2006 03:21:18 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote this:-

Why?

They will make your electricity meter spin round like a catherine wheel. They will provide very uneven lighting levels, unless they are very close together. You will be replacing the bulbs every five minutes.

Far better to fit a lighting system that is economical, carbon dioxide emission reducing and provides flexible lighting.

Reply to
David Hansen

The message from David Hansen contains these words:

And they're hot - which in this weather is a bad thing. Worse, in your situation the heat will be going to warm your upstairs neighbour's feet, for which they may or may not thank you.

Reply to
Guy King