Ground Floor Laminate question?

SWMBO insists that we get laminate in the living room. :(

Planning on using the fibreboard-y underlay as there a few areas with a

1-2mm difference in level and an old concrete hearth. Under the existing floor there's about 500mm gap down to an earth solum, so will I need any sort of damp/vapour barrier under the underlay?

TIA for any help.

-- Doug Ignore the old spamtrap work e-mail address; Try: doug at fruitloaf dot net

Reply to
douglas.farnan

If it's bumpy laminate floor won't lie properly. You shouldn't need a DPM, but it there's any question of damp, put one in.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The thicker fibreboard underlay will easily allow for 1 -2 mm difference in level, Don't forget to lay the underlay diagonally and the laminate at 90 degrees to the floorboards.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Got a dog by any chance ? - the noise of them scuttling around can be quite bad, and they can have trouble getting up off the floor if they`re getting old and creaky :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

We've got a hamster!

Thanks for the replies, I anticipated using the fibre underlay due to the slight differences in level, wasn't aware I should lay it at diagonally. Floorboards are on short span so laminate can go longways towards the window.

No signs of damp anywhere, so I'll not bother with the damp proof membrane.

Reply to
Dougman

All the professionals I know put down a damp proof membrane on every concrete floor. If the fitting instructions say use a damp proof membrane then use a damp proof membrane. If there are any future problems with warping or joints "tenting" you wont have a leg to stand on.

Reply to
Grumble

Only way to avoid a join in the underlay coinciding with a join in the laminate flooring.

Short span? Wot dat?

Agreed, but according to the OP its not a concrete floor - if I read things correctly?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Sorry, reverted to structural engineer mode. Short span is the "width" of the room, the usual span of the joists, consequently, long span is the "length" of the room. So I'm planning to lay the boards perpendicular to the joists.

And you're quite correct that it's not a concrete floor, 500mm gap under the joists to an earth solum.

Reply to
Dougman

Always use a DPM when laid on a concrete ground floor ... personally I use a

3mm closed cell underlay with a built in DPM (UniClic product), if you don't want to use that then lay a polythene sheet down first ... you can buy this in small packs in B&Q or builders merchants or in large rolls .... buy the thin clear polythene sheet, not the thick black DPM.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes