Grit bin for the local roads for winter

In message , Andy Burns wrote

Reply to
Alan

The great unwashed can be remarkably dim. As others have said how to shovel snow without doing your back or giving yourself a heart attack(*). Even the "common sense" of where to shift it to will illude some. There is also a tendency to lay the rock salt down as a contiguous layer, you don't need to do that.

(*) A number of people do die each year over exerting themselves clearing snow.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Concise Oxford English Dictionary © 2008 Oxford University Press: illude /?'l(j)u?d/? ?verb literary trick; delude.

- origin ME: from L. illudere 'to mock'."

Possibly not what you meant but an interesting word.

elude, on the other hand, is perhaps less elusive a word ;-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Presumably from ludo - to make fun (a game) of..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

deceive or trick.

2.Obsolete. a. to mock or ridicule. b. to evade.

elude is the more correct word.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You guys are wasting your time.

Did anyone ever find our whether Roger Chapman meant elusive or illusive? (29/11, climate model debate)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Persuing linguistic esoterica is never a waste of time :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

In York they just drop off a blue builder's bag of road salt and keep topping it up. I used about a third of this and did the whole of our street with it (about 35 houses) last year. Since they've never been known to grit our street, it's only fair we don't pay extra for this.

Reply to
andyv