Green Light For Solar Energy Farm

"A power station using solar panels to create electricity has been given planning permission in Cornwall.

About 5000 panels,each about 2m high,will cover more than seven acres at the former Wheal Jane tin mine near Truro.

Developer 35 Degrees said the panels would produce enough electricity at full power for about 300 households.

It is the first solar farm to be given planning permission by Cornwall Council which has another 14 applications."

So this vast array of stuff is being set up to provide enough power to run the street where I live? (When the sun shines)

Can the guys that like doing the sums tell me if this is remotely viable?

It just seems like absolute madness. Twilight Zone stuff.

Reply to
Ericp

..which wont need that power at midday in blazing june anyway. Cos they will all be on the beach,.

Yes, its not remotely viable. Its pure greenwash.

"In the end, Germany?s PV promotion has become a subsidization regime that, on a per-capita basis, has reached a very high level that by far exceeds average wages: Given our net cost estimate of about 8.4 Bn ? for

2008 reported in Table 4, per-capita capita subsidies turn out to be as high as 175,000 ? (US $ 257,400), if indeed 48,000 people *were* employed in the PV sector (BSW Solar 2009)."

Eurozone greenzone stuff.

Iagine gtting a 150 grand a year grant per employee.

Golly. Even Tyneside doesn't go that far.

Write to your MP NOW and bitch. ITS YOUR MONEY THEY ARE SPENDING.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Viable? It is enormously profitable. The guaranteed subsidy harvest more than pays for the installation and maintenance cost..

Reply to
Peter Parry

Taxpayer subsidised. There are lots of far more sensible options we could be doing. Such as energy efficiency.

Oh yeah. And how does commerce give us energy efficiency?

ISTR that's how we got CFLs!

tim

Reply to
tim....

Which,if they delivered what they promised, are viable *without subsidy or legislation*.

It ought to be a case of 'silly you still sticking in those expensive

60W bulbs - you could save a fortune with a better bulb;'

No need for any encouragement IF THEY WORKED AS ADVERTISED.

I've replaced the third in three weeks, This time with a 60W normal bulb. I am sick of the CFLs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can do it your self. House insulation thermal solar panels etc. Some people just want their hand holding.

I know you can, but expecting people to DIY is hardly going to work as a government policy, is it?

tim

Reply to
tim....

When someone comes up with a bulb that lights up my room I'll scrap the 100W bulbs that I use.

Until then I have no choice to continue because with the new namby pamby light sources that are available there isn't enough light in the room for me to be able to read things.

tim

Reply to
tim....

Reading is elitist, and will be banned shortly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reading is anything but elitist, it's Chav central. I look forward to it being banned.

Reply to
Steve Firth