Granite Hearth

Hi all

just laid a granite hearth in two pieces one inside of the chimney and the other outside. I have a small gap where the two pieces of granite meet which I need to fill with something black, any ideas? could I just use black mastic or something similar?

Thanks

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Get a concrete colour (black/grey) and dye some mortar mix.

Reply to
EricP

Sounds exactly like the hearth we laid 3 weeks ago, only ours is slate. I filled the gap with mortar (it's quite a big gap, about 20mm), then finished off with charcoal black tile grout. This gives a smoother finish than mortar, and is totally matt black. B&Q stock it, as do bigger tile shops.

Reply to
Grunff

If you talk to a granite supplier (stonemason), they should be able to recommend or supply and epoxy filler. I have this between a worktop and an upstand and it's effectively invisible.

Check about heat resistance for this application, though.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks all I went for the easy option in the end, found some midnight black grout at B'n'Q after searchng for the charcoal one suggested, this was ready mixed and has done the job a treat. Lets hope it withstands some heat!

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard