grand designs last night

a bit of a mess i thought. really great inside to the building - faultless, however I agree with the presenter, a bit to much of an executive showhome result. now the underground house last week... far superior.

Reply to
John :)

Remember, the planners wouldn't allow a property built to match the existing properties there as they felt it would "confuse people"?!!

I thought it was nice - and especially at the price! I was impressed at the mix of the old (oak) and new (sips) methods of building.

David Hearn

The only thing that bothers me about these "builds" is that no one ever mentions the problems that can arise when you try to sell.

Sips is likely to come under non traditional build and in due course ( maybe not whilst its so new) very few lenders will mortgage it at least in my experience. Same goes for wooden ( even oak) frames.

Reply to
mich

"a bit of a mess i thought. really great inside to the building - faultless, however I agree with the presenter, a bit to much of an executive showhome result" [..]

I thought design (structure and exterior) was pretty damn good for the price they paid, I would have done something more with the interior design but that's my taste.

and, from 130k built it's now worth (valued at) £280k

Les

Reply to
in2minds

I didn't believe her. The plot would have cost more than that alone. I suspect daddy gave it to her.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I question the true cost of the build. I wonder just how much of the costs were absorbed into other developments, given that she was 'in the trade'. It just seems too low to be realistic, given that typical building costs are relatively well known these days.

Reply to
Wanderer

Remember the architect/designer was her father, and the project manager was her uncle I think. Its possible she was charged low rates (or cost rates). Also, if the design is to be repeated in the other 2 plots, then possibly the design costs were split across them as you suggested and this build done as the practice run.

David Hearn

I'd look on it slightly differently and ask 'How much would it cost *me* to get a house like that built in that village?' Somehow I suspect it would cost considerably more than the figure she quoted, given that she had many features hand-crafted by the blacksmith, and she didn't skimp on the quality of fixtures and fittings. I reckon a figure of £225k to £250k would be far more realistic to Joe Public.

Reply to
Wanderer

I suspect daddy bought the orchard, sold off the other two plots and let her have one at 'family' rates. I also suspect the construction costs weren't totally what they would have paid if the family hadn't been in the building trade.

Otoh, they seemed like a nice young couple and it was probably the only way they could afford to buy/build in the area.

Best of luck to them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Meaning they didn't want them to have a house that fitted into the village coz the existing villagers probably complained prospective buyers in future would see their houses as drafty, cramped and not worth the money. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

You are nuts. No one cares if its wood frame or not. All they care is that it is worth what they are lending.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My house was done in a similar way to a similar style, and cost about

120 squid a square foot, including interior finish, and quite a bit of landscaping and the 50 grand the so called project manager took off me before I realised that not only did I think he was a total tosser, but all the trades did too, and would be far happier working for me direct.

I could do it again for under 100 a square I reckon.

If anybody seriously wants to do it and has a plot, I am happy to discuss teh experience.

Or even help. I know plenty of things NOT to do :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The idiotic style police again (planners)

Reply to
IMM

Very few will not lend on timber frames. Pretty soon timber frames will be common as the new building regs start to be phased in.

Reply to
IMM

This build was featured in one of the magazines several months ago - H&R or SB&D probably. When I go home this weekend I'll look it up and see if there are any clues there... unless anyone else has the back-issue in question (May/June?)?

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Well that's better than dying of sold and damp and no style whatsoever apparently.

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"David Hearn" wrote in news:blgvd3$311$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ukfsn.org:

I missed the first 30 minutes or so - where exactly was it, as the price (including ground) was incredibly low for such a good result (although it did look out of place with nearby houses.

Reply to
Nick Pitfield

Hereford IIRC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm not complaining. Mummy gave me a bit of cash when I bought my house. ;-)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I agree. The guy kept on saying the building methods were "experimental" so I reckon it was a test/show home for the other two plots.

Reply to
adder