grand designs last night

Page 1 of 2
a bit of a mess i thought. really great inside to the building - faultless, however I agree with the presenter, a bit to much of an executive showhome result. now the underground house last week... far superior.

Remember, the planners wouldn't allow a property built to match the existing properties there as they felt it would "confuse people"?!!
I thought it was nice - and especially at the price! I was impressed at the mix of the old (oak) and new (sips) methods of building.

the
The only thing that bothers me about these "builds" is that no one ever mentions the problems that can arise when you try to sell.
Sips is likely to come under non traditional build and in due course ( maybe not whilst its so new) very few lenders will mortgage it at least in my experience. Same goes for wooden ( even oak) frames.
mich wrote:

You are nuts. No one cares if its wood frame or not. All they care is that it is worth what they are lending.

at
maybe
Very few will not lend on timber frames. Pretty soon timber frames will be common as the new building regs start to be phased in.

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:23:01 +0100, "David Hearn"

Meaning they didn't want them to have a house that fitted into the village coz the existing villagers probably complained prospective buyers in future would see their houses as drafty, cramped and not worth the money. ;-)
Mark S.

existing
The idiotic style police again (planners)

IMM wrote:

Well that's better than dying of sold and damp and no style whatsoever apparently.
:-)

Or is it!

I missed the first 30 minutes or so - where exactly was it, as the price (including ground) was incredibly low for such a good result (although it did look out of place with nearby houses.
--

Regards.

Nick Pitfield ( snipped-for-privacy@nickpitfield.com)
Nick Pitfield wrote:

Hereford IIRC.

"a bit of a mess i thought. really great inside to the building - faultless, however I agree with the presenter, a bit to much of an executive showhome result" [..]
I thought design (structure and exterior) was pretty damn good for the price they paid, I would have done something more with the interior design but that's my taste.
and, from 130k built it's now worth (valued at) 280k
Les

I didn't believe her. The plot would have cost more than that alone. I suspect daddy gave it to her.
Christian.
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:58:43 +0100, "Christian McArdle"

I suspect daddy bought the orchard, sold off the other two plots and let her have one at 'family' rates. I also suspect the construction costs weren't totally what they would have paid if the family hadn't been in the building trade.
Otoh, they seemed like a nice young couple and it was probably the only way they could afford to buy/build in the area.
Best of luck to them.
--

Dave

I'm not complaining. Mummy gave me a bit of cash when I bought my house. ;-)
Christian.

The plot could well have been one that put other people off. One in a village in Surrey I lived in went for pittance because it had a large tree in the wrong place and the tree had a TPO. Mysteriously the tree vanished overnight and once it had gone the value of the plot jumped in value.
More likely that the 130k build doesn't include the land. Similarly I don't believe that the 250k build for the underground house included the land.
--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.

She claimed it did. It is this claim I don't believe. Plots in pretty villages with enough space for a detached house and garden cost more than tuppence.
Christian.
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:51:33 +0100, in2minds wrote:

I question the true cost of the build. I wonder just how much of the costs were absorbed into other developments, given that she was 'in the trade'. It just seems too low to be realistic, given that typical building costs are relatively well known these days.

faultless,
showhome
price
Remember the architect/designer was her father, and the project manager was her uncle I think. Its possible she was charged low rates (or cost rates). Also, if the design is to be repeated in the other 2 plots, then possibly the design costs were split across them as you suggested and this build done as the practice run.
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:49:53 +0100, David Hearn wrote:

I'd look on it slightly differently and ask 'How much would it cost *me* to get a house like that built in that village?' Somehow I suspect it would cost considerably more than the figure she quoted, given that she had many features hand-crafted by the blacksmith, and she didn't skimp on the quality of fixtures and fittings. I reckon a figure of 225k to 250k would be far more realistic to Joe Public.