Good idea??

I am redoing my en-suite and I am considering using pushfit connectors. For part of the installation I will need a couple of 90 degree bends (15mm) that will eventually end up covered over in a plasterboarded wall. Obviously I will make sure they do not leak before covering them up, but is this a good idea or am I better to use compression joints here (my soldering is not very good!). Has anybody seen any details on the expected lifespan of pushfit or are they expected to last 'forever'?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

"John" wrote in news:cn5heh$46p$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com:

I would never conceal pushfit or compression in the structure, and that's bitter experience talking. Not trying to solder now could cost many quids.

I've never used pushfit, and never built in a compression joint, but professional bloody plumbers have, to my huge aggro and considerable cost.

These pipes can be distuebed by all sorts of things, and start leaking, and can ruin lots of things before you spot it.

Can you manage to prefabricate at least that part of the pipework on the bench, and test it before installation (I just fill it with water and blow), and put the more unreliable connections where you can get at them?

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Soldering is really not difficult if you follow the instructions carefully; especially if you use solder ring fittings rather than end-feed. You can even do it with a hot-air gun as long as it has an attachment which curls round the pipe and directs the heat where it needs to go.

Reply to
rrh

I taught myself to solder, a good plumers merchant may give you a lesson on a quiet day. Anyways, I occasionnly push-fit, expecially if its somewhere that would be a disaster if it got too hot from the heat gun.

I would never again put a compression where you can't get to it, I have a hole cut in my kitchen ceiling where one leaked. I had joined my new work into the orignal house plumbing with a compression join.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

In message , mike ring writes

I wouldn't be to worried about pushfit leaking, I've got loads of them in the house now, not once has leaked (obviously installed and checked first) But yes I wouldn't trust compression.

However I assume the OP is using copper pipe, I's suggest considering using plastic pipe (I prefer Hep2O) and maybe be able to avoid the joint altogther?

Reply to
chris French