gluing malamine strip to wood

To finish off a small cupboard I need to attach a 2 inch strip of melemine backed chipboard to some 2x2 timber, I cant get access from the rearside to screw in place and obviously I dont want to put screws though from the front. Would a bead of silicone do the job.

Reply to
ss

In message , ss writes

Yeah I guess so, as long as you can hold it in place

But why not just use an adhesive made for the job?

An impact adhesive is the obvious candidate, PVA if it can be held in place until it dries, or as long as the fit is good, a 2 part mitre glue (basically superglue with an activator)

eg

Reply to
Chris French

More than likely - silicone makes quite a strong grab adhesive.

Reply to
John Rumm

I am trying to use what adhesives I have, which are: Silicone, Evo stick impact, and I do have some PVA. I also have a wood glue but I dont think that sticks well to a smooth surface. The wood it (melamine) has to adhere to is not ultra smooth.

Reply to
ss

Evo stick impact should do it perfectly - just be careful as you only get one chance to position it correctly.

I must admit, I haven't used evo stick since it stopped being toluene based, but I'm assuming whatever it uses today is similar, even if not quite as good.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've used the Everbuild Stick2 impact adhesive (from TS), it's a similar smell to the old Evostick and just as 'snotty', but presumably it's a new improved greener formulation ... worked well on thick rubber though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

How secure does the strip have to be? Does it see shear or peeling forces, or is it basically decorative? Can you do a trial? Is it

*really* melamine faced chipboard? Some chipboard seems to be faced with a thermoplastic material. What I regard as melamine is very hard and rigid, the classic product being formica.

On the available info, I would be inclined to say silicone if decorative, Evo Stick if structural. And I would abrade the melamine.

Reply to
newshound

To be honest I am not sure, it is the stuff that kitchen units are made of and the front surface super shiny. The cupboard is in an unused porch and once the doors are fitted it leaves a 2 inch gap either side so just decorative to match the doors, the rear side (the part I will be sticking) is less glossy. I will do one strip tonight with silicone and see how it goes.

Reply to
ss