Getting old tile adhesive off tiles

Has anyone got any ideas how to get the adhesive off old tiles? Prefer tried and tested methods, not.."you might do it with", no offence intended like :-).

Thank You

Reply to
Mickey

Try soaking overnight - won't work with genuinely waterproof adhesive of course.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

This has come up here before; IIRC the answer depends on the type of adhesive?? Try searching the newsgroup archives via Google.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Does it matter? new ideas are valuable regardless of the posting, IMHO.

Depending on the size of your tiles, buy/borrow a wallpaper steamer and fit as many tiles as possible on a flat surface with tile adhesive uppermost fit steamer over tiles and leave for a couple of minutes i.e about 2/3 should do then scrape of adhesive.

Reply to
ben

Wasn't meant to be a dig, I was just pointing the OP at the source of the answer to his question (cos I don't have the time or inclination to do the search myself...)

David

Reply to
Lobster

If it's the normal white stuff sold ready to use, simply put the tiles in a bucket of water to soak for a few hours. It will fall off. Cement based adhesive - haven't a clue. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I found putting them in an oven, and heating to ~1000C worked well. (Intended to reflow the glaze over cracks, which worked)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Does that just work with plain tiles? Would you end up with a muddy merged mess if you tried it with patterned ones?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I don't think so, after all, it doesn't happen when they are fired.

However, the temperature may well be more critical, and some experimentation may be needed. It is quite possible to do this, if you have a controllable kiln, but time consuming. Simply ramp up to say 600C, hold for half an hour, and ramp back down. Check if cracks have fused. If not, repeat with the temperature 20C higher.

These were tiles that had been in situ for maybe 15 years, cracked. The cracks have not totally dissapeared, but the glaze has melded over them, so that instead of being fine black lines, they are slight depressions in the glaze. I wouldn't have bothered, if I diddn't have the kiln already - it was more of a "I wonder if this will work", than a practical measure - as they were plain white tiles, and a box of 10 would have been plenty to replace the tiled area.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Try soaking the tiles in a bucket of boiling water with some sugar soap or similar. The waterproof adhesive takes slightly longer to dissolve!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

But my oven doesn't go up to Regulo 40

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Small kilns can actually be quite cheap. And handy for all sorts of tasks. Also DIY-able for practically nothing.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In message , Mickey writes

Angle grinder & coarse sanding disk. (Messy, very quick, clamp the tile!) (I had to replace some removed to fit new window surround, none left at the tile warehouse where I bought the originals)

Reply to
Keith

What if the OP has 30/40 tiles or more? hardly going to be quick is it. :-)

Reply to
ben

Nobut, if he's only got a couple, it'll be a lot quicker than soaking overnight.

See your :-), raise you a :-P

Reply to
Keith

I can't believe that no one has actually come up with the correct answer.

Soak them in a bucket or plastic tank full of brick acid.

When they stop fizzing, wash them.

End of story.

If some is still left, throw brick acid away and get some more.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm guessing that's just for cement-based adhesive, rather than, erm, adhesive-based adhesive? Or will that work for anything?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Because it isn't the "correct" answer.

No, it isn't "end of story". Don't be so bloody dogmatic. Acid does not attack pva or acrylic which most tile adhesives are based on and, while it may work by action on the filler, it's hardly an elegant solution given that hot water and detergent works just fine. I know this because I always re-use adhesive tubs and often the residue is rock hard by the time I get round to cleaning them. Hydrochloric acid is dangerous and unpleasant to use. Any kind of scrubbing in your bucket flicks tiny splashes everywhere. Don't wear your 501s

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Oh, I dunno. Do a search on Ebay for 'bleachers' and see how much they cost. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)