genuine pic

Excellent!

I wonder how many people would need to hang on the end of the ladder to lift the front wheels of the van off the ground?

Reply to
Peter Duncanson

Its a real shame that dropbox do not allow a more descriptive link to be made. It seems to just use the filename of the file. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's a photo of a smallish van belonging to Brad's Aerials, with a set of ladders on a roof rack - including one very long one which extends about a van's length beyond the back of the van.

A case of "overhanging load" if ever there was one!

[I have to admit that I didn't notice the ladder at first sight because it's partially camouflaged by the building behind. I was trying to read what it said on the van - in case that was what Bill was pointing out - but most of the text isn't clear enough]
Reply to
Roger Mills

Surely 2/3 of that additional overhang could be eliminated by moving the roof ladder forward 3 or 4 rungs.

Reply to
Graham.

The mind boggles!

What is the legal overhang BTW?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

With or without a marker? I don't think the marker being used is very good, they could at least have used a hi-vis item of clothing.

Found a preview of a document that was on the DfT site....

Not exceeding 1 metre

Front and rear: No requirements specified.

***************************************************** More than 1 metre, but not exceeding 2 metres

Rear: End must be made clearly visible. (C&U Schedule 12, para 4)

Front: No requirements specified.

***************************************************** More than 2 metres, but not exceeding 3.05 metres.

Rear: Marker boards required (C&U Schedule 12, para 3)

Front: Attendant required (C&U Schedule 12, para 2) Marker boards required (C&U Schedule 12, para 3)

***************************************************** Exceeding 3.05 metres

Rear: Two clear working days notice to Police (C&U Schedule 12, paragraph 1) Attendant required (C&U Schedule 12, paragraph 2) Marker boards required (C&U Schedule 12, paragraph 3)

Front: Two clear working days notice to Police (C&U Schedule 12, paragraph 1) Attendant required (C&U Schedule 12, paragraph 2) Marker boards required (C&U Schedule 12, paragraph 3)

Going by that they should have notified the Rozzers and have had proper red and white marker boards.

Slide the roof-ladder forward so it overhangs the front by a metre and hang a hi-vis off the back and I think they would be legal.

Reply to
Phil Cook

It has got something dangling off the back, but not what you would call highly visible...

(that seems to be a very long single piece roof ladder!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes it could! But he's been driving about round here like that for yonks. I had a picture months ago but it wasn't clear.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

1 metre behind the rear lights.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Just one Were-Rabbit Gromit!!!!

Reply to
madge

That should make reversing interesting!

Reply to
Steve Eldridge

Hope there's no one on the pavements when he does a U turn.

Reply to
Gazz

How much effort would it take to rip the roof-bars out of their mountings?

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall rip the lid off this van." Archimedes

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I think he actually said "????? ??? ??? ????? ?????? ?????? ??????? ???????? ??? ??? ????????? ??? ????? ??? ?? ?? ????????????, ??? ??? ?? ?????? ?? ?????? ??? ???? ?? ???????."

Reply to
polygonum

Hmm, yes that type of overhand is not legal though. Obviously has not heard of folding ladders then. Sounds like a prop from an old Eric Sykes silent comedy.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

?????? ???????

?? ?? ????????????, ??? ???

That's all Greek to me

Psammead.

Reply to
Andy Champ

?????? ???????

?? ?? ????????????, ??? ???

Did you know? There are two 'e's in Greek?

(Take that whichever way you want.)

Reply to
polygonum

In addition to a normal extending ladder he seems to have a very long non extending (ans so non collapsing or folding) roof ladder (21 rungs by the look of it).

You could well imaging some "the plank" like antics as he goes round corners, swatting pedestrians off the pavement!

Reply to
John Rumm

I bet that's modern Greek. What would be the ancient Greek for truck?

Reply to
Max Demian