Generator 1 / Power cut 0

I don't geddit. Your genny is 2kva yet you are running all this off it?? The heating alone is 1kw per rad minimum so what am I missing here?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

All the best people do :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The electrical load of the heating system is for the pump and burner motor/controls only.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Years ago I used to install Two way radio equipment at farms.

I could write a book entitled;

"One hundred and one things you can fix with a roll of baling twine at harvest time"

Reply to
tony sayer

Oh.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes.

Co-incidentally, I saw this being discussed in another 'froup this week and someone posted a link to the HMRC site. There is no way to reclaim duty on petrol, even if it is used for purposes unconnected with road transport.

Reply to
Huge

If you can drastically up the efficiency by using some sort of heat exchanger so the exhausrt gases heat the house instead of being wasted

- does it get near to breakeven point?

Assume 80% efficiency, that gives 9.4p / KWh. Problem of having heating whether needed or not, and capital/maintenance costs, But not far off. Plus no standing charge if you're totally off grid.

Or have I overlooked some fundamentals?

Reply to
Simon Cee

you are not far off. you might get back 50% more as low grade heat for example.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , tony sayer writes

Possibly the extended limit?

Darwin's first experiment.

You don't need a roll; it comes ready cut with a knot somewhere along the length.

So far, ignoring cuts and bruises, I have only fallen through a roof.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have no idea if it was noisy as they also spend all night digging the pavement up:-( --Adam

;-)))))

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Almost certainly. I suspect that the 'handler simply wouldn't lift 20 tonnes. But I wouldn't have got under that 'dozer for all the rapeseed in Bedfordshire.

Reply to
Huge

MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm Rape seed makes a very good thermal insulator. There is a Bedfordshire farm that insisted in having its radio base installed in an area at the bottom of the seed dryer. Somehow it got full of seed, even inside RF proof assemblies and overheated. I spent ages with a vacuum cleaner clearing it out.

Reply to
Bill

Me neither:-)

Not uncommon to see people working on wheeled diggers simply raised on the jacks and the front bucket though.

My father was daft enough to disconnect the hydraulic lines to a Fergy

35 loader in the raised position! Came down sharpish and nearly took off his head.

On the 'dozer, I guess with the blade raised the back end would be a lot less than 10 tons.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

[snippage]

Well, that's slightly better, in that although there are (presumably) no interlocks on a backhoe/JCB, at least the hydraulics are rated for the weight of the thing.

Reply to
Huge

Yep, with all four pumps, controls and boiler running I suspect the "heating" draws around 400W. When I find my plugin power meter I'll measure it...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

private

Of course. B-)

We have our own single pahse 11 kV supply and substation.

By "own" I mean the half mile or so a single phase and substation (transformer up pole) only feeds us, no one else. It's not "private" in the sense that we have to provide and maintain it, the DNO does that all the way to the 240 V cut out. The metering is done by the companies we buy the electricty from only after the meters does it become our problem.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Show off. We have to share ours with one other house.

Reply to
Huge

As do we.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I'm not convinced it's a good thing. If "our" line develops a fault in a storm so the engineers are a bit busy we will be the last one repaired as we are only a single customer. All they need to do is pull the 11 kV fuses where the spur leaves the main line and let us sit in the dark (well I'd get the generator out but you get the idea).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I certainly do. A couple of years ago, we sat in the dark for 4 days while we could see the lights from the villages all around us.

Reply to
Huge