Gas meter stopper

I wanted to fit a 1inch by 28mm copper meter adaptor on a meters outlet and have a few metres of 28mm pipe for the gas supply. There is a brass anti-taper plate on the meter. This prevents the removal of the existing 1inch by 22mm meter adaptor. Taking a 28mm pipe to a meter and then reducing to 22mm at the meter making a restriction when I could go directly to 28mm at the meter is ludicrous. A metal ring is rivited to this brass plate. I could cut this ring away. Can I do this? The meter outlet must be accessible so how can Transco prevent people from replacing or upgrading the pipe from the meter?

TIA

Reply to
timegoesby

I've often seen these rings cut off by Transco themselves, or the corner of the meter bracket bent down. Can't see any harm in doing either of these.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

I can't see any problem with this - I often see Transo Engineers cut them off and/or bend the corner of the meter bracket over to ease access for the meter.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

Doesn't it p*ss you off when your 1st message gives an error and disappears, so you post another, then low-and-behold...!!!

Reply to
Fentoozler

Have you actually got a BS746 x 28mm cu meter outlet union?. Does it fit the slots in the meter bar?. In theory you could just cut the rivet off. Meters are fitted in this way to conform with the relevant British Standard.

tarquinlinbin