Gas Fire Saga

Ages ago I posted asking about replacement radiants for a gas fire. Unfortunately, I never did find the required items.

More recently I asked about gas fire showrooms.

Today, I took my mother to two showrooms in Southampton.

The first one had three technically suitable models - all 'living flame' affairs and they seemed quite or very expensive. My mother said she was suprised not to see any wtih radiants as that is what she is familiar with. The salesman responded that they were not available these days.

The second one had at least six radiant-type gas fires within a couple of metres of their front door. (They had quite a lot of others, including various flame effect ones further back.) But he also said that it was possible to get replacement radiants for her existing fire - and checked by ringing his supplier. That supplier will not send them to customers so we would have to collect. On explaining that she is in Winchester, and I am even further away, he checked their installation diary and asked a fitter if he would drop them off next week when he is due in the area - he responded with a cheery 'of course, no problem'. (Which was quite easy as he was working on a display fire at the time.) No charge for delivery to the door. Also extremely friendly, helpful and a pleasure to deal with. Seems they are also considering opening a new shop. In Winchester. About 300 metres from my mother's house. (We will hope the fire works fine with the new radiants and defer any changes until next year.)

Anyway - highly recommended on today's experiences is Gasworks in Shirley Road, Southampton. And how nice to be able to write that.

Reply to
Rod

Nice to hear, shame i'm the other end of the country :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson