Garage Power Shopping List

Page 2 of 3
Lurch wrote:

Well I guess, but that means two lots of cable when a reel of one type is sooooo cheap. Any benefit to using 1mm?

Conduit.... seems to be my major miss out... thanks for looking at my list and suggesting improvments :)
Phil

Well, doing 2 way lighting circuits with 2.5 is a little tricky, if you're worried about having too much cable why not buy it by the metre. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch wrote:

Thanks, this is why I asked, this is all very useful stuff. I'll get two lots of cable for this, probably still get reels, but smaller ones.
Thanks again
Phil
On 15/02/2004 manoman opined:-

You will find out in trying to wire the lighting in 2.5mm, that you can only get one 2.5mm core into each lighting circuit terminal.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Thanks for that, I'll definately be using the 1mm stuff now :)
Phil

Don't forget the 3 core and E for the two way switching.
--
Chris French, Leeds

have
Why not use 2 core?
You'll use the armour as the earth- isolated at the shed end (plastic comsumer unit) and connected at the house end (metal knock out box connected to earth- NB 10mm2 cable here please)
You'll need some more 10mm2 earth cable and a copper earth spike at shed. [1]
Assuming TT system.
Tim..
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:26:35 +0000 (UTC), " Tim \(Remove NOSPAM."

I think we're getting a little over complex here, see many previous posts about earthing arrangements to outbuildings. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. wrote:

I intend to share the earth with my house... is that so bad?
Thanks for looking and suggesting the improvement though
Phil

No, there are pro's and cons, much discussed here already. Unless the garage was a fair distance from the house I wouldn't bother with a separate earth.
--
Chris French, Leeds

chris French wrote:

nah... its like 3m max away from the consumer unit, not even sure I need the aforementioned reel but I cant find it priced per metre anywhere
Phil

TLC www.tlc-direct.co.uk sell it by the metre.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Thanks andy, know anywhere in the north ?
Phil

They'll ship it.
For orders under 150 cost is 5.
You might want to cost your shopping list on their site, they are usually competitive.
Alternatively, if you want to visit a trade counter, try WF Electrical. They will normally do a deal and have branches over most of the country. The will cut lengths of SWA as well and will deliver within reason.
www.wf-online.com
WF and TLC have own brand stuff which is quite similar. WF's Alto range for lights etc. is pretty good.
While I think of it, if you are putting fluorescents in a garage, you might want to consider electronic ballasted ones. They cost a bit more but work well in cold weather and don't flicker.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I had no problem getting cut lengths of SWA from a local trade counter.
I'm just wondering if this cable is going underground or overground. If the former, then I'd probably use Hi-Tuf instead as it's a bit easier to work with.
--
Chris French, Leeds

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:17:54 +0000, chris French

I assume you mean the latter? ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
chris French wrote:

Its going underground and under garage base
Phil
Andy Hall wrote:

Thanks for the information.
Can I get those from Screwfix Andy?
Phil

I haven't seen them there.
Again, TLC have them, as do WF and any other trade supplier, although they may have to order them in - normally 2-3 days.
Here's an example.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FGDP58slashHF.html
You can get fittings without covers with the electronic ballasts and you can also buy the ballasts separately to put in a standard fitting, but it's generally cheaper to buy them in the fitting.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Think I'll stick with the cheapies for now...interesting to know they are out there though, they look the business!
Phil