Garage Power Shopping List

Page 1 of 3
I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see if I have I missed anything obvious?
Cable:
3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil BW20S Indoor Gland Kit 2.5mm T&E 100m Reel
Power Sockets
13A Double Switched Socket x 4 2G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 4
Lighting + Suspension Accessories
Fluorescent Fitting 1200mm 36W x 4 Fluroescent Tube 26mmx1200mm 36W x 4 Galvanised Steel Suspension Clip x 10 Steel Chain 10m Length
Mini Consumer Unit:
Garage Unit 40A/30MA + 16A,6A MCB
Light Switches for 2 zone lighting:
Ceiling Pullcord Switch 10Amp 2 way x1 (For just inside garage door) 6Amp 2Way 2Gang Plate Switch x 1 (for just inside access door) 1G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 1
Thanks :)
Phil

have
Two comments: Why the pull switch and are you going to enclose the cables in mini trunking or conduit for extra protection (I assume you will be using this garage for more than just parking a car in) ?
Jerry. wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to look at this
Pull switch is for (wait for it) pulling on when i drive in the garage to turn the light on through the window. Hope it is as cunning as it sounds.
And conduit... good idea which I will definately be using!
Thanks again, seems I havent done too bad in my list making
Phil
On 15/02/2004 manoman opined:-

Fit a PIR to turn a light on :-)
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

oooh.... I like it!! Will definately look into that!!
Phil

Big garage :-)

Metal clad I assume?

i'd have gone for a 20A for the sockets 'just in case' if possible, but probably doesn't matter.

I'd run the cable in conduit. It gives the cable some extra protection from damage, and it makes a much neater job, takes a little bit longer and costs a bit more, but not dreadful.
--
Chris French, Leeds

chris French wrote:

Is 29 foot long big enough?

Good point... will specify metal clad :)

OK... can always replace with 20A later

Definately seems a good idea using the conduit, thanks for taking the time to look and help me out
Phil
On 15/02/2004 manoman a wrote :

The lighting seems to be inadequate if you intend to do any serious work in there.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

How bright is the light in your NetKKKoping Room, Harold?
--
The Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip
Smiting Sinful Usenet Users Since 1874

Surely it's a special corner of his caravan? As he feverishly types, his bald pate reflects the light of the gas mantle.
--
You're obsolete. Nobody wants to talk to you, irrelevant muppet.
-- "Polyarchal".

I like the sound of that. Let's hear more stories about it.
--
The Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip
Smiting Sinful Usenet Users Since 1874
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Really? I don't know how many I would need for it to be well lit.
It will be a 29 x 9 foot garage
Phil

What you've got will light it ok for general purpose parking of a car but for workshop use I would find it inadequate. I would use the fittings you have, sideways on and equally spaced up the length of the garage and put some extra lighting over any workbenches. My garage is about 5m x 2.5m and I have 3x 5' twins, probably overkill but I can definitely see what I'm doing! ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch wrote:

Well its kind of a temporary arrangement as I plan to use the back half to have a reconditioned pub pool table in, and I will be rethinking the lighting then if I can get hold of a proper hood for above the table.
Thats the plan anyway... more of a play pen than a workshop :)
Phil

That's the best use for the back half of a garage as far as I can see! I'm thinking of putting my pool table in the lounge, the garage is full! ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch wrote:

Was thinking if I couldn't get hold of a proper hood that i could use an oil barrel cleaned out split in half and sprayed silver inside, black outside, and mount some lights inside it.
Its a theory anyway, and an amusing project even if it doesnt work out :)
Phil

I'd knock something up out of ply\mdf\chipboard. Probably look more like the proper one. Probably cost a bit more than an old oil drum though, but you can't put a price on authenticity! ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
"manoman" wrote | Well its kind of a temporary arrangement as I plan to use the | back half to have a reconditioned pub pool table in, and I | will be rethinking the lighting then if I can get hold of | a proper hood for above the table. | Thats the plan anyway... more of a play pen than a workshop :)
www.drinkstuff.co.uk might have some suitable adornments to the decor.
Owain
"manoman" wrote in message

That's a similar size to my workshop where I have about 600W (tube watts) of triphosphor fluorescents (colour 840). With a ceiling height of about 2.8m (walls & ceiling painted white) the illumination is over 1000 lux at bench height. Each of the 5 luminaires is separately switched to allow the lighting to be varied to taste.
--
Andy

1mm twin and earth and 3 core and earth for the two way and lighting circuit ?

Trunking, for the drops to switch and sockets? Clip the cable round the top of the garage and enclose the drops. It does depend how you interpret the list, I could say screws, clips and such, but you must have already thought of all that. Other than that it's fine. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.