garage doors

Does anybody know how to tension garage doors correctly ? i.e. the large spring in the middle My door only comes up half way and if you opened it really quickly the cables would come off the cones and ravel up.

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
kram

Firstly - is it lubricated and operating smoothly (not jamming half-way)

Yours sounds in need of help from someone with more experience than me - but it may have already had the cable jump the cones.

You need the correct allen key, a spanner and you need to be bloody careful. I hope someone can provide you with clear instructions. Suggest you confirm the Manufacturer's name.

Reply to
john

I did one of mine whose spring was not tensioned enough.

As above check carefully that everything is working smoothly before doing anything to the spring.

Then careful inspection of how it works should enable you to do the job but work very carefully and slowly. Make sure you have the right sized spanners and, if at all possible, try and do it in such a way that if something slips you have a 'second line of defence' that will prevent disaster.

Reply to
usenet

kram submitted this idea :

It sounds like it needs lubrication, rather than more tension on the springs. If you find that it really does need more tension, then the way I have done it in the past....

Is to attach a rope onto the spring of side you are trying to add tension, get an helper to pull the rope easing the tension on the wire, thus enabling you to take up some slack on the wire. Do be very carefull - these springs store a lot of power.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I would Third the lubrication suggestion already mentioned.

On my door I had the same problem and I just gave the spring a good blast with the WD40 and then I happened to have some white spray grease that I used on the tracks and wheels. Almost worked too well, you now have to stop the door from bashing against the top when it opens.

Paul

Reply to
Paul ( Skiing8 )