Fridge not getting so cold now ... suggestions

Hi all

the built-under fridge we had when we moved in (it's about 8 years old now) is not keeping things as cold as it used to ... it seems well ventilated, but the compressor seems to run more than it used to.

Could it have leaked refridgerant, and if so, are there places that can re-gas, or am I doomed to get a new one ?

Anyone else suggest possible causes and checks ?

thanks in advance

Reply to
Jethro

Pull it out and give the back a vaccum first - give it a clean and make sure the overflow bit at the back isn't blocked. Get a thermometer and check what temperature it's getting to. Does the thermostat in it make a difference?

Reply to
Mogga

Interesting, what does the "overflow" bit do ?

I'll need the thermometer to check .... !

Reply to
Jethro

it just drains away the drips from inside - they're easy to block up and although it might not affect the temperature of the fridge it's a good idea to have a look at it too. There'll be a little dray it drips into at the back and then evaporates from.

If you've over filled the fridge and the air can't get round that'll complicate things too. I'd have thought if coolant had leaked then it'd all have leaked though.

Reply to
Mogga

In message , Mogga writes

although most people don't have space for one of those (and they do tend to kick after a while) so use a tray which sits on the compressor.

Reply to
Si

Ah but you get more beer on a dray. :)

Reply to