friction hinges

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the difference between side hung and top hung friction hinges? I thought they would be the same hinge and that you would simply rotate it through ninety degrees?

We have a kitchen window which (unusually IMHO) has hinges on either side, so I guess they would be side hung. The problem is hat they are

50 cm or 20 inches long and the places I have tried only sell up to 40 cm. Any ideas where I can get some? Mail order or internet would be best as I'm lazy and don't want to drive to a store ;)
Reply to
nospam

Sorry to add to my own post but some kind chap has emailed* me to say that if the friction hinges attach to the SIDE and the window pivots about the TOP, then it is TOP hung that I want. If so, this seems counerintuitive to me because I thought the top or side bit refered to where you fitted them not perpendicular to where you fit them.

*not to the above address which is a spamtrap
Reply to
nospam

Yes, save that top-hung or side-hung refers to where the hinges would be on a traditional timber window.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I suspect (but only suspect) the difference is due to top hung windows tending to self close under their weight, thus requiring different hinges to side hung windows which don't and this fits your email correspondent's view. But that's just an observation!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Side hung have to take the weight of the window on the bottom hinge, so there is additional strength/different construction.

Reply to
sheaton

Before replying to an 14 year old post from a broken website, please read and digest this:

Don't you think your post is a little late in providing help?

Reply to
Fredxx