Freezing pipes

Hi, I'm putting in a new outside tap using 15mm soldered copper pipe. While unlikely at this time of year, I am a bit worried it may freeze in colder months if I forget to drain it. Obviously I could lag it, but would simply putting in a short section of flexible hose, such as that used for tap connections, help at all? Providing an expansion zone so the pipe didn't burst...?

Cheers,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Why not simply use above-ground grade HDPE pipe for the outside part?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Perhaps - plastic pipe runs have a tendency to look a bit ugly and bulky at the joints though...

Reply to
Ben

How much time do you spend looking at it?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not much - fair point. But it is in a fairly visible space - ton a balcony - so ugly plastic pipework might be an issue since the run to the tap is a meter or so. But you're right, its not a massive issue :-)

Reply to
Ben

Weren't you going to do a proper job and box it in with marine grade plywood with stainless steel fittings and electric pipe heating tape, all french polished by hand by an Aberdonian virgin?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I was, but the virgin didn't turn up :-)

Reply to
Ben

Is there such a thing?

Sorry, I was thinking of Inverness...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:00:46 -0700 someone who may be Ben wrote this:-

You missed the most important information. How much of this is going to be outside? 5cm, 5m? How much inside?

You could always put draining it into your other regular plumbing maintenance, such as operating valves every six months. You do maintain the plumbing?

If it does freeze the length of pipe outside is critical. A very short length of pipe outside means the ice can expand inside and thus it is not likely to burst, not that I would recommend leaving such a pipe filled.

Nobody has yet invented lagging that adds heat to a pipe. All it does is slow down the rate of heat loss. If lagged pipes are not used it is likely that they will freeze eventually.

Reply to
David Hansen

What a pompous ass.

Reply to
rodericktrousers

No suprise there, then.

Reply to
Huge

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 06:06:06 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote this:-

Excellent, personal abuse. Generally the resort of those with no better arguments.

Reply to
David Hansen

There used to be a wrap around electrical heat wire available that prevented freezing. Anyone here remember what it was/is called? "Spira something rings a bell?"

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:49:02 GMT someone who may be "ARWadsworth" wrote this:-

Trace heating cable should be available from the usual suspects, though it is generally not something fitted in a domestic setting.

Reply to
David Hansen