freeview is crap?

Its probably one of those Ivor Cattlike fudges, where some other factor is introduced, like compression by anothe name etc. Or use of mpore analogue levels/opahse shgifts/freq shifts on a carrier than can be achieved with sensible noise levels.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Seconded. I haven't read every message in this thread but I haven't seen any mention of simply asking Sony. Since you have invested in a single vendor solution they ought to be falling over themselves to keep you with the brand. They ought to be able to talk you through the best configuration for each piece of the jigsaw.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Birchall

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

O boy!, this group is starting to get like uk.rac.audio where a vinyl-v-CD thread is measured in MPPS (Mega Posts Per Second);(

Reply to
tony sayer

4.43361875 MHz.. from memory;)
Reply to
tony sayer

So now you have answered your own question.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

SCART includes composite video.

VHS machines are so poor quality in the scheme of things that there's no point in feeding them RGB - or them outputing it. (Some rare Philips VHS did indeed output RGB, but they were a one off designed to integrate with an all RGB system.) Even to allow a fully functional RGB loop through on a VHS without it actually decoding/coding that signal for its own use would cost quite a bit more due to the switching involved.

Even your Sony STB doesn't output RGB from both sockets. IIRC, the second 'record' one only composite or S-Video.

Then you must. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The point is, its not a configuration iissue. Its a broadcast signal issue.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah. Couldn't get that to work anyway so I plugged the 'TV' output into the DVD/VHS machine, and the output from that into the TV.

OK..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

While digital has its problems - mainly with fast moving things like sport

- it's unfair to be so critical until you've seen it as it is designed to be viewed - via an RGB connection if using a separate TV. TVs with a built in digital tuner don't PAL encode then decode their signals...

It also can be effected by what's on other channels. The bit rate isn't fixed for each.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you've got the Sony VTX-D800U? That's my main one.

The instructions are very unclear about what's available on the video output. It has this 'Smartlink' system but doesn't describe it in any detail. But does mention that the TV output is RGB capable so buy default, the video one isn't.

VHS machines sometimes have a poor video bandwidth even when used 'straight' though. Why provide a high quality signal path that the machine can't make use of?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi,

Any web references at all? I coulndn't find anything on MPEG 2 filtering,

AFIAK it does a 2D transform on the error terms of the motion prediction process, but this is not the same as filtering.

Source noise is the killer for video compression but there are far better ways of reducing it than a bandpass filter. It wouldn't be required as part of the MPEG 2 standard, as it has nothing to do the decoding side of things. cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

That, and the earlier remark:

Bzzzt. -131 dBm is the thermal noise floor (kTB) in a bandwidth of

20kHz and normal room temperatures. It's nothing whatever to do with the 2.7 K cosmic microwave background.
Reply to
Andy Wade

All digital transforms have to do end weighting of the terms to avoid edge effects. These weights are usually buried in the general co-efficients and not obvious.

Many transforms, though not all, are in effect a block of filters followed by some other process, in the case of the FFT an I and Q summation which can be processed to give amplitude and phase information.

Motion estimation does have a transform, but the main killer of the picture is the spatial redundancy transform which uses a DCT coding technique with a very severe high frequency attenuation. During the predicted frames, some high frequency information does appear but it is in fact 'imagined' by the algorithm rather than an actual represention of what was there in the original signal from the camera.

Online I would recommend

a good start though it doesn't actually point out recent developments of the limitations of the algorithms, just show the principles.

Reply to
Mike

I agree - things have improved dramatically. But back then with crap Burr-Brown convertors the difference was small.

Problem now is that with a Yamaha 01, Soundcraft 328 or whatever, or even a PC with add-ons, any kid in their bedroom can produce output that sounds far better in it's original state than in does when transferred to a CD medium. Companies like Drawmer have benefitted enormously by learning how to make this sound degredation as unnoticable as possible, but it is still there.

Reply to
Mike

carrier dropper!

Reply to
JJ

Ah. I did some tweaking , and fond that I had a very high brightenss and contrast level on analogue, but was indeed using RGB on digital.

The colors are now much closer between the two. But the lack of sharpness - especially when viewing moving images - and 'thinness' of color are still evident.

Siort of like 8 bit color instead of 24 bit...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Strange. Contrast (gain) and brightness (black level) work on RGB too on all the sets I've come across. Only the colour (saturation) has no effect on RGB. Unless it's a clever set that remembers different settings for its inputs - which really shouldn't be necessary with video which is all (or should be) at standard levels.

Are you still maintaining your VHS loops through RGB? 'Cause I don't believe it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some VHS machines loopthrough RGB correctly - our old Panasonic VCR does.

RGB loop-through is not expensive to implement anymore - it's a bog standard function of the chips that handle all the I/O in most STBs. Cheers, David.

Reply to
davidrobinson

That's what you'd expect, but some early Philips IDTVs do exactly that

- the "Press Red" prompts are clearly covered in PAL artefacts. Maybe there's a menu somewhere to enable RGB internally, but it's not on by default.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
davidrobinson

I've got no less than 3 Freeview boxes, and none output RGB on both TV and VCR sockets.

And on a VCR, why provide RGB loopthrough? The VCR can't make any use of RGB. And it makes the switching to its aux input very much more complicated.

It would certainly increase the cost if it converted an RGB input for its own purposes then created RGB again for output.

I've got an S-Video to RGB convertor and it's a pretty complicated beast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)